Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:56:06 AM

Author Topic: Spindle?  (Read 11892 times)

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
stepper motor as a Spindle
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »
Hello,

I have a machine lathe, with two axes, X one and Z one.

Spindle is à stepper motor that works with step and direction. It works well for turning, about 470 RPM. wood turning.
Could use my spindle (stepper motor) for engraving on wood?

Thanks Robhi
Re: Spindle?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
Hello,
Thank you Hood and all of you,

So all what I need (for the spindle) is  one stepper motor and one G201 for example? and of course a head for connecting all together....LOL That's all what i need? am I right? or Need I something else?

Thanks
 Robhi

A stepper motor would be about my *last* choice to drive a spindle.  It won't be very smooth, it won't go very fast, and even a momentary overload will cause it to stop dead in its tracks.  If you try to run within the resonance range, you'll find greatly reduced usable torque.  A regular DC motor or servo would be a FAR better choice.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 05:29:37 PM »
Hello, thanks so much,

I guess you and Hood are right , but how to configure it to to run normally, slow, fast, and change the direction etc.. and if I can engrave ( write) on à piece of wood ? lathe.
Hoping am clear

Best regards
Robhi
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »
Hello, thanks so much,

I guess you and Hood are right , but how to configure it to to run normally, slow, fast, and change the direction etc.. and if I can engrave ( write) on à piece of wood ? lathe.
Hoping am clear

Best regards
Robhi

You can pickup a nice DC motor and speed controller from surpluscenter.com for next to nothing.  Treadmill motors and controllers are quite commonly used for spindles.  Pickup a DigiSpeed from www.homanndesigns.com to interface the speed control to Mach, and you're in business.  Or, get a small 3-Phase motor and VFD.  That's the best solution, but more expensive.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
Seems to me if you want to 'write' on a piece of wood that is held by your spindle, you are going to need a few extra goodies.

For starters, what exactly is going to be the 'pen' that you write with? Do you have a high speed spindle rigged up to your cross slide or something like that?

You are going to need to control the direction and azimuth (radial position) of the workpiece in order to 'write' on it, so a motor and speed controller is not going to be adequate at all.

If you want to use the same spindle for turning and 'writing' you are going to need a servo motor with a timing belt drive on the spindle . . . -or- . . a 4th axis on your mill table.

Look here for some ideas:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11422.0.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:27:12 PM by simpson36 »

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
Hello,
thanks for replying,
I guess that all what I need. it is the forth axis that rotate the workpiece, (only for wood). I do not want the spindle any more LOL. So, could I use a stepper motor in order to rotate the workpiece as the one that I see in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KNit__LJE4

hoping it is possible.

Best regards
Robhi

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »
Dang, I think I recognize that video!

The indexer in that video is driven with a servo, but initially it had a NEMA34 stepper of 640oz-in which was adequate for holding the workpiece with a 3.6 to 1 reduction.

Yes, if you only need to rotate the workpiece for the purpose of engraving, then a stepper would be fine. I would suggest a microsteeping drive and gear it down a lot via a wide timing belt with an idler or other method for tensioning the belt, which has to be very tight.

Keep in mind that in this situation, the belt stiffness and the motor holding power alone is going to provide the rigidity.

What is it you are making?

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »
Hi,
Thanks again.
I would like to turn wood, as well as engraving. I love wood too much. I would like to do so.

How could I know that my forth axes works well?
trying to read your answer next week.
best regards..
Robhi

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »
I am not a woodworker but I think it would need high speeds when turning, if so then servo is the only way to go if you are also needing indexing.
Hood

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
Hello, thank you Hood,
even if I use a (spindle ) to cut (mill) the workpiece?
thanks
Robhi