Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:29:06 AM

Author Topic: Need advice on which breakout board is needed?  (Read 20470 times)

Re: Need advice on which breakout board is needed?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »
Well I received my smooth Stepper board and my three Gecko drives (320's).  I've gutted my old controls off the machine and rewound the existing transformer to give me 77 VDC to power the Gecko's.  Just ordered a Sound Logic encoder interface board from Rogersmachine.net to work along with my smooth stepper.  I believe these two should handle everything I need right now.

;)
Well I received my smooth Stepper board and my three Gecko drives (320's).  I've gutted my old controls off the machine and rewound the existing transformer to give me 77 VDC to power the Gecko's.  Just ordered a Sound Logic encoder interface board from Rogersmachine.net to work along with my smooth stepper.  I believe these two should handle everything I need right now.

;)

I wonder if 77V isn't a bit aggressive?  If you don't have a good energy dump system, that could shoot up on sudden decel, and cook a Gecko.  You might want to check that with Mariss at Gecko, before you let the smoke out.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
I asked that exact question on another forum (awaiting reponses) and am drafting an email to Gecko right now, it's easy enough to remove a few more turns from the transformer if needed...

What does an energy dump circuit look like?
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
I asked that exact question on another forum (awaiting reponses) and am drafting an email to Gecko right now, it's easy enough to remove a few more turns from the transformer if needed...

What does an energy dump circuit look like?

There are a number of ways of doing it, basically providing somewhere other than the power supply capacitor for that energy to go - typically a large power resistor.  There's an app-note on the Gecko website giving one example:

http://www.geckodrive.com/upload/returnedenergydump.pdf

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:29 AM »
Here's the response I got from Marcus:

"You will be fine with 77VDC. The G320 is de-rated to 80VDC and its absolute break apart voltage is around 112VDC. We did this to take into account the line voltage variations as well as component tolerances. Back EMF is not a problem as it gets passed right back into your power supply’s filter capacitor. If you have any more questions, please let me know."

So it doesn't sound like it will be an issue...

BClemens

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »
So the current REV (7) G320's have an energy return system built into the circuit?

Bill C.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 02:41:56 PM »

"You will be fine with 77VDC. The G320 is de-rated to 80VDC and its absolute break apart voltage is around 112VDC. We did this to take into account the line voltage variations as well as component tolerances. Back EMF is not a problem as it gets passed right back into your power supply’s filter capacitor. If you have any more questions, please let me know."

Cool!
Regards,
Ray L.

BClemens

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »

Cool!

Cool Beans!