Hello Guest it is May 23, 2024, 08:02:10 AM

Author Topic: Won't do offsets  (Read 10965 times)

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
Won't do offsets
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »
The attached file will be for a flywheel's spokes.  The DXF is the actual size.  I need to offset to the inside so they come out the proper size when I cut them out.  When I select all the chains then do offsets using my 1/4" end mill, LazyCam only adds two of the 5 offsets.  If I choose a 3/8" end mill, LazyCam does all 5 offsets.  Any guesses what could be wrong?

Thanks

Vince

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Won't do offsets
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:37:47 AM »
Hi, Vince

Well I can get it to offset one at a time, Hears the LCam file's for you to work with, LCam still has allot of issues.

It's late, Chip

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:45 AM »
Here is what I get when I try.

Vince

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »
Hi, Vince

Hears a LCam file that all you'll need to do is setup your tool and post I think.

Also a couple pic's and a G-code test file.

Hope this Helps, Chip

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »
Hi, Vince

Hears a LCam file that all you'll need to do is setup your tool and post I think.

Also a couple pic's and a G-code test file.

Hope this Helps, Chip

The code is nice and I can use it, but it does not help me figure out why it will not work on my machine.  I tried the exact same settings as you and LazyCam will only give me the bottom and top left offsets.  I would hate to have to depend on others every time I try to use the program.  Without any type of CAD CAM program, it is either hand code or LazyCam.  I guess I could do the offsets in AutoCAD and then just have LazyCAM do tool path.

Vince
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:01:04 PM by N4NV »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »
Hi, Vince

Your "I guess I could do the offsets in AutoCAD and then just have LazyCAM do tool path" is the way to Go.

It hasn't been worked on for over TWO years, We keep hoping it will be finished/worked on at some point again.

Moving lead-ins around sometimes helps, But ever when I got it to offset, The posted G-code had errors.

I offset the dxf in cad and used LCam to post it in my previous post, If you'll PM your Phone # I'll give you a call if your in usa or ca.

Thanks, Chip

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39:43 PM »
Now that I know how I have to do the drawing, it's no big deal.  I made the offsets in my AutoCAD drawing and did an array in under 2 minutes.  Sometimes it's just easier to draw the part as shown and let the CAM do the offsets.  It's still easier than coding by hand.

Vince
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:57:54 AM »
Vince - I was able to produce the following offset for your drawing without any problem.  In LCAM go into the Setup Function and select "Loading Functions - AutoClean Settings.  In that screen you will see a section labled "Connection Line Tol. Used to Optimize."  I set this to .01 for this drawing (the setting can be adjusted to accommodate other drawings and needs).  A large setting for the here will result in your "slices," being joined which makes offsetting a problem.  For the offset I used a .125 endmill and assumed you wanted to offset to the inside of your spokes.

Although I did not cut the project, I did use LCAM to produce the code.  It appears to be right.  LCAM did produce one errant circle that had to be edited out. The entire project, loading into LCAM, changing the Optimize setting, offsetting, generating the code, and editing the final gcode took about 5 minutes.

Don't know if this will help or not.  But, I have used LCAM to produce some very complicated pieces and felt tackling your problem would be fun.

Good luck with your project.  Post a completed picture when you are done.

Bob@BobsShop

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »
Bob, I tried changing the setting.  I tried .1, .01, .001, .0001.  As a result I was only able to get 3 of the spokes to offset.  I'm still going to draw with tool part center instead of actual part, but I would like to know why it works for some and not others.

Vince
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 11:08:43 AM »
Hi Vince,
   I tried your DXF and discovered that if the selected tool is too large to cut an arc at the corners, (tool rad. = > part rad.) then there is a problem. By selecting a smaller tool, it works fine here.
Are you trying to use a .25 cutter ?
Might help,
RC 8)

EDIT:  I see in your first post now......1/4 and 3/8 tried. I think tool rad. smaller than the drawn rad. is the answer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:14:26 AM by Overloaded »