Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:55:13 PM

Author Topic: New Guy . . . Old problem??? - motors not turning  (Read 13036 times)

New Guy . . . Old problem??? - motors not turning
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »
Hello all.

I am in the process of converting a DOS based CNC Crafter 1914 over to Mach 3 and am using the Campbell Designs Combo board.  I can see that Mach 3 is operating with the combo board (I see the step and direction LEDS change with jog state).  The limit switches also trigger the combo board and Mach 3.  Motor outputs are set as follows:

X STEP:  PIN 2
X DIR:    PIN 6

Y STEP:  PIN 3
Y DIR:    PIN 7

Z STEP:  PIN 4
Z DIR:    PIN 8

The motors are Applied Motion Products 5034-349 and the drivers are Applied Motion Products 7080.  The drivers do operate the motors in test mode.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Matt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: New Guy . . . Old problem??? - motors not turning
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:09:09 PM »
Do the motors lock? Does that board require an Enable?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
Hello Hood,

I don't think the combo board requires enable.  However the DOS setup had the enable on the drivers wired (+5VDC on the high side and the low side went to the emegerency stop). 

What do you mean by locking the motors?  Is that an "enable" function?

Thank you.

Matt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
Ok it was the drive boards I was meaning, sorry should have been more specific. Do you have them enabled?
What I am meaning is are the motors locked or can you rotate them by hand? If they are locked then the drives must be enabled, if you can rotate then they are not.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
Hood-

With the power off, I can rotate the motors by hand (it's difficult).  With the power on, I can not rotate them. 

Matt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
Sounds like the drives are enabled then, check you have the correct pins asigned for the actual position you have the motors connected to.
Do you get any sound at all out of the motors when you try to jog? Do you see the DROs in Mach moving when you Jog?
 Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
No sound at all from the motors when jogging.  I do see the DROs moving in Mach.  I have the pins configured per the combo board's instructions.  Do I need to check elsewhere?

Matt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
No, if you have them connected as per the board and set up as per the board in Mach then that side of things should be ok. If you  have a voltmeter you could check to see if the Step and Dir signals are being output  from the combo board while you are jogging each axis in turn.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
I have 5VDC at the combo board when I jog. 

Matt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »
You should have 5v at the Dir output when you jog one way and 0v when you jog the other. If its a digital Voltmeter you will not see 5v on the Step output when jogging but you should see a voltage when you jog and 0v when you stop. The faster the jog the higher the voltage but also it will depend on your meter but in any case its not really important as long as you see the above.
 If you do see that then  the problem is from your connections between drive/combo or drive/motors.
Hood