Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:50:42 PM

Author Topic: Changed to new computer - now nothing works  (Read 3935 times)

BClemens

Changed to new computer - now nothing works
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »
Bought a new one with two parallel ports added since the new computers don't have parallel ports any longer - an ASUS Book PC. The card is a Startech dual parallel port PCI card and driver. I installed Mach3 on the new computer (with the reboot) then transferred all of the settings to the new computer and cannot get anything to work as before. The reason for getting the new computer was to ge a second parallel port that worked - now with this new one neither one will make the machine work as before on the older computer with only the motherboard port.

What could be wrong with this set-up? Could the ports be configured wrong in the bios? The way I'm seeing this is on the diagnostics page, the X axis has all limits activated - one the old computer, they are not and everything still works. The new computer acts as if the parallel ports are not functioning correctly with inputs and outputs. There has got to be a reason for this. When trying to add the additional parallel port to the old computer, very similar things occurred and I could never get it to work. Startech blames Mach3 for not addressing their card correctly. Why on a built-in card and not an add-on?

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here?

Thanks,
Bill Clemens

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Changed to new computer - now nothing works
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:53:31 PM »
Bill, it could be a number of things. I have sent you a personal message.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

BClemens

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
Looks like Y axis step, spindle relay, and a couple of other outputs don't function on one of the parallel ports but the other is fine. Switching them indicates that one of the ports is set wrong or something. Will look at the BIOS this afternoon. Thanks for the help and reassurance Brett!

What is the difference, when setting up an MPG, with using OEM code 259, 260, and 261 -etc. and using 185, 186, 187 and etc? The set-up calls for MPG #1 PORT 2 : A pin2 and B pin3. I'm getting cross talk between X and Y when in MPG mode. Could it be a dirty 5 V supply to the MPG?

Thanks,
Bill Clemens

P.S. We had this machine working fine and sorted out some mechanical tweeks during running. Needed the MPG input.... We'll send some photos of a couple of parts made with the machine and Mach3. It was working and I couldn't leave it alone!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:54:42 AM »
Bill,
What Asus did you buy? Please post your findings as some folks are thinking about purchasing one. your
experience with it would be appreciated. I was told that it shouldn't be purchased if you want the same capabilities
as a full blown laptop. 
RICH
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:58:10 AM by RICH »

BClemens

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:04:16 AM »
Rich,

The computer (ASUS P1) is fine. I'm having serious doubts about the Parallel port PCI card though. The one that 'The Book PC' installed for me is a dual output Startech (good stuff) card and one of the outputs is funky. I'm getting some cross talk. I believe I would go for two single output cards so that there is no confusion with setting them up in BIOS to ECP. This particular computer was chosen from a photo on The Book PC web site because it shows a parallel port on the machine so all we needed to do was add another. Turns out that the photo is of an older version and the new ones have no parallel port at all.  Anyhow, I'm thinking that this is the problem but don't know for sure.

I finally got the old computer (BioStar book sized) additional parallel port to work....Thing is; I'm no at all sure what was wrong! I bought this computer in 2003 when this project first started. Now I'm back to using it after $700 for the ASUS. Oh well - that's my contribution to the stimulus plan - before the tax 'decrease'.

Bill Clemens