Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:02:08 PM

Author Topic: Can M3 run an ancient CNC Turret Punch?  (Read 4303 times)

Can M3 run an ancient CNC Turret Punch?
« on: February 06, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »
This Whitney monster of a machine has a plasma cutter and a pneumatic plate marker in it too.  The control hardware and software is positively ancient (circa 1990?) and doesn't even turn on, besides when it does work it's user malevolent.

Any thoughts anyone? ???
Re: Can M3 run an ancient CNC Turret Punch?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »
Well,
Mach3 in essence can handle up to 6 axis, so if that is all it has then certainly it can work. Besides you could operate a modbus plc to free some axis work from mach (toolchanger etc..)

BEing a punch, plasma and plate marker in one, make it a hard retrofit, but certainly doable.
Not for beginners though.

Maybe if you post more info on the machine
Motor types, driver types, does it have a toolchanger, how about a torch height control?

Another thing to consider is how would you generate G-code for them... plasma is no problem, dont know about the punch and plate marker.

Best regards
Fernando

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »
I did a retrofit on a Peddinhaus, Plazma/punch/engraver/drill/tourch machine it would take a 5' metal plate upto 3" deep, the Punches (it had up to 3 different sizes), all of that was NOT that difficult, just consider each type of tool with its own set of triggering macros and offsets.

have fun...

scott
fun times
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:24:34 AM »
I think you hit on the key word, MACROS!  I am going to have to do some hard study on these macros and some of the more sophisticated parts of M3 before I get started.  I guess the long and short of it is, yes, M3 could run this machine.