Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:16:04 AM

Author Topic: smooth stepper  (Read 3413 times)

smooth stepper
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »
hi all

i received and installed yesterday a smooth stepper to use it on my lathe. i was surprised to see that everything installed and work exaclty like expected after following the instruction.  it control the x and z axis plus spindle speed thru a campbell breakout board. Even if everything works, i've noticed something strange. when the spindle is turning, the spindle dro is showing a 6 to 10 digit number that is always changing. it doesn't show the actual speed. when manualy feeding axis with the shuttle pro, the feed dro doesn't reflect the actual speed but is fixed at the same number it was when not moving the axis.

finnaly, after about an hour of using it without any problems and everything fonctional, mach3 crashed. it is now crashing every 5 minutes.

i'm using mach3 3.042.020 and ss driver 2.04.06 and PlugIn: SmoothStepper_Beta2_v015ogb.m3p

any ideas?
Re: smooth stepper
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »
i forgot to mention that the smooth stpepper is powered by the usb power and not an external 5v supply

could it be the problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:53:20 PM »
I'd suggest you get in touch with Greg at Warp9.  I've had a SS on my mill for 4-5 months, and not had any of those problems.  It's worked almost perfectly from day one.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
Make 100% sure you have the ribbon cables connected round the correct way, or if you have made your own that you have wired them correctly.
Hood