Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:47:57 AM

Author Topic: My first attempt at a CNC build.  (Read 62994 times)

My first attempt at a CNC build.
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:35:04 PM »
I've been scrounging pieces and parts for a couple of months. Now, I'm getting ready to think about, maybe starting to attempt some sort of construction. My goal is a 3 axis machine to carve foam or soft wood with a Dremal or Roto-zip.

Do I sound like a skeptical pessimist. Maybe, I just have a million things going around in my head that I see as potential problems. Most I've dismissed and I'll try not to ask a bunch of dumb questions on the rest. I am not a machinists nor a computer experts by no means. So, if I can pull this off, anyone can. About 80% of the stuff on this site is way over my head, I hope I don't have to know it all.

Anyway, here is some old medical equipment I picked up. It has 3 axis and they will all end up on top of the machine. So, Flip it over in your head. The first picture is as I found it and the 2nd is after the extras were stripped off. Then a shot of the Steppers that came with it and a close up of the x and y screws. My first questions: Are those screws going to be too steep a thread for the machine? I've been looking for some acme thread to replace them with. Sorry about all the background junk in the pictures, except for my son, he's not junk.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: My first attempt at a CNC build.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:17:51 AM »
Looks to me like you are well on the way to your first build.
The threads are steep but with a 'microstepping' controller and your 200 step motors you should be OK for all but precision stuff.

Tweakie.

btw. None of us knows it all so you are amongst equals here.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
Thanks Tweakie, that helps. I won't plan on building any clocks right away.
I'm going to cut some of the frame work today and tomorrow if I can stay warm enough. My garage is like a tomb.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:21:30 AM »
My workshop is pretty much the same, this time of year.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of your build as you go - there will be lots of interest.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
Well, I got a lot done in the last couple days.
Shortened the z axis to about 5"

Built the frame and table.

And got some of it bolted together.

I've got a long way to go, finish bolting it together and get the motors and wiring done.
I got my copy of Mach 3 and a computer just for the CNC. I still need a monitor and Keyboard.
My machine will have a 15" X axis, 11" Y axis and 5" Z axis. I may have to make some adjustments to the Z axis
Because of the box at the back.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing, is that 80/20 extruded material or something else?

Love watching the build-  :)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 04:44:05 AM »
Looking really good.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »
Thanks Guys, I do believe it's 80/20 metric. The bolts are 8 mm. I picked up about 25' of it at a surplus store for $1 / pound.
I got a lot of the fasteners with it but not enough. I may order some or improvise.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
Update today:

I've got rotation !!!   Got the driver board and E-stop/breakout board wired up, so I hooked up the motors and got them to turn forward and reverse.
The motors are sitting on the power supply, it's 12/5/5/5 vdc and has it's own cooling fan. I need to get the back board mounted in the cabinet and wire up some switches and Micro-switch limit switches.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
Oh what a feeling !
Congratulations !
RC