Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 07:58:25 AM

Author Topic: Mach modbus inteface info?  (Read 29539 times)

Re: Mach modbus inteface info?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
Hi. Hi. I too have HY02D223B. The same I can not start ModBus for work. It will be possible to hope that this problem is solved? ???
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
Hi Peter

It is like that. But how do you get Mach to talk like that? When I put a port sniifer on what Mach outputs and use the test routine all that I can seem to get is:

1 byte slave address
1 byte function
2 bytes start address
n bytes data
then 1 byte = number of registers if its a read
2 bytes CRC

What I seem to be getting hung up on is how to configure modbus without all the extra bits.

I'm toying with the idea to create a plugin (not sure if thats the right way or not) but would prefer to just output bog standard modbus strings. You shouldn't need a hardware translator.

Can you point me in the right direction to learn how to config mach this way? I've read and watched the tutorials but thay all seem to be directed to setting up for your board or PLC that likes all the extra stuff.

Cheers

Mark

Edit:
I just looked over everything and I've been reading the posts wrong, ignore me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 05:19:08 PM by yngndrw »

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
Hello folks,

Sad to hear about this incompatibility issue as I just got my Huanyang and had in mind to run it via Modbus. I don't feel like getting into a hassle with non-standard devices so I am now thinking of buying another inverter which supports Modbus. Before that I think it would be a clever idea to be sure down to the detail how a Modbus compatible inverter is run and how it is run from Mach. So, can anyone point to an article(s) which describes this whole process and what is expected from the inverter and what perhaps is needed to be done (programmed?) on Mach side?

Thanks,
Risto
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
Hi Guys

I was making the same mistake.. (read the messages after the one quoted)

You need to see how the data is structured ...
http://www.modbus.org/docs/Modbus_Application_Protocol_V1_1b.pdf

I'm no modbus expert either but this is how I see it

It is a protocol so it describes how (rs485 rs232 etc) messages are sent and what fromat they are sent in (address, function etc) but not the actual data therein. so I doubt that you could just swap two different VFD's and not make any changes to your code. IE on one VFD PD001 may mean start while on anotehr it may mean stop etc.

The Huanyang VFD is a poor attempt at meeting the protocol and is flawed. Some are trying to address this with the manufacturer but its a very long drawn out process and may not happen. Two things to remember ... 1. its probably preprogramed into the pic chip and not flashable and 2. many applications are stand alone and don't use Modbus.

The Plugin is a "work around" and is a viable solution and slightly more elegant IMHO than using a analog input.  The fact that we are using the VFD to drive a spindle means many of the fancier features (ramp ups and downs) are not needed so we are only using a small number of parameters .

Start
direction'
speed
stop
and read backs for actual speed and current draw.

As the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and a fully complient VFD with all the features would I think be far more expensive than these units with their :flaws"

Cheers Mark

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
Thanks Mark & all,

Do you have any news about the schedule of the plugin?

/Risto
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »
Matty Zee has just had a kid so its a bit on the back burner for now but he is just doing some final tweaks. Last thing any programmer wants to do is release too early and then have to put out fires left and right. What I can say is that the version I have been testing so far starts and stops the in response to M codes in a file and reports back the current (although its scalled at the moment TBF) the VFD is drawing. Speed is also settable. so its 98% there.

Reverse direction has not yet been implimented and only limited testing has been done so far.

Keep an eye out on the plugins threads I'm sure you'll see it pop up there fairly soon.

Cheers

mark

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 11:11:45 AM »

Keep an eye out on the plugins threads I'm sure you'll see it pop up there fairly soon.

Cheers

mark

OK, thanks for that.

What comes to mind is that once the plugin is ready it could be a minor task to tailor it to run other - Modbus compatible - inverters as well.

/Risto