Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:48:50 PM

Author Topic: Setting Z zero with Tool# other than Tool zero  (Read 3750 times)

Setting Z zero with Tool# other than Tool zero
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »
Hi,

I'm quite happy to be told... "dumbo you can't do it that way" but need to check.

So, I have various tools set up in the tool table and length offsets called in the prog G43 L#, all fully understood.

But occasionally, I want to do a quickie by just chucking in a particular tool, do a rough XYZ zero with that tool (not T0) and start the chips flying.

But, the TLO is never correct. I select the tool number in the main screen before zeroing but going zero all always leaves the tool away from z0 by the value of the tool table.
This happens even if in the program I do not have a G43.

It seems that the only way I can set up first time correctly is to zero with T0.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Derek.
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Setting Z zero with Tool# other than Tool zero
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Set an offset in your tool table to Z zero, say offset 200, then in your g-code have a line G43 H200.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »
Hi Graham,

I'm still having a real thick moment here :-[

I thought I could zero with any tool that had been entered into the tool table.
i'e tell the machine I'm using (say) T6, zero z with that and call the TLO from the gcode.

But, thinking about it, I normally use my T0 (blank tool) to set z zero, but when using another tool I zero, I'm setting up in machine coordinates (the XYZ have red surrounds) not work coords (green surrounds) i.e I have not set Ref ALL. (have no home limits at the mo)

So if I was to ref all and set z with say my T6 and calling the TLO from the code, would that fix it for me?

I can't get to the machine to try for the next few days but will give it a try on my return.

Thanks for your help

Derek.

You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »
When you set all your tool offsets they were set relative to your datum tool, if you use T6 it has an offset in the tool table and it is applied when you call it, when you set your z datum with that tool the offset is ignored and then when you run your code the offset is applied.

G49 will cancel all offsets if this is in your program, then there must be no G43's in the code.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops