Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:33:41 AM

Author Topic: FIX ICONS AND WHAT OPENS WHAT  (Read 4622 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
FIX ICONS AND WHAT OPENS WHAT
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:54 PM »
I think this is where you can  fix what opens what and change the program icons in Windows.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: FIX ICONS AND WHAT OPENS WHAT
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:17:40 AM »
Hi, Rich

That was it, Couldn't find/remember where the setting were, It's sad that some program's think they have the rite and there Helping you by changing file type extensions and such......

What a pain in the Beep Ho Ho$#@%#.......

Thanks, Chip

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Hi Chip,

A way that's a bit faster/easier is to just right click on the icon you'd like to open, and then click "chose program" and then a list of the programs will come up. Just highlight the one you want to open and then "check mark" the "always use this program to open this type of file" and it will associate that program from then on. Now if you just want to try that particular file  with that program, don't check the box and then nothing is permanent.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »
Programs which create the miserable PITA problem, please add to the list as you find them.

CAMBAM
VECTRIC

rich
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:33:56 AM by RICH »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »
It is aggravating when programs don't offer the option of "associate with files" during installation. Keep in mind that some do offer this, but only if you select the "custom installation", rather than "typical" installs. I can live with one or two file association changes, but when a program handles multiple files and changes all of them without asking, and you spend lots of time changing them back, I feel it should be only fair to send them a bill to compensate you for your time. Keep in mind too, that if a program didn't associate itself, it would open up a whole new can of worms for those that are less computer literate. Would Autocad override Vectric or another software if you installed it second? I think that most programs just try to make it as easy and painless as possible using the settings that the average user would want.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
Hi, Sam

It's fine for programs to assign there own "special" extensions for sure, But .txt, .dxf and smiler extension are used by many programs and should be left alone, Period.

Your correct it's a Gigantic wast of time, Sometimes you need a Pick-Ax to get it straiten it Out.

Chip