Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:33:55 AM

Author Topic: How Many Tools Does Mach Allow?  (Read 4043 times)

How Many Tools Does Mach Allow?
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »
I use SheetCAM to generate my G-code, and I've written some software to create SheetCAM tool sets from an Excel spreadsheet, with things like RPM and feed rate calculated based on SFPM and other factors.  I've created a huge toolset (about 250 tools), with numbers ranging from 1 to about 850 (yes, there's a good reason for that....), and Mach is really not happy with such large tool numbers.  Anyone know what the limit is?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
Re: How Many Tools Does Mach Allow?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »
I'm guessing the answer is 255, but I'd like confirmation.

Next dumb question:  I'm doing strictly manual tool changes, and not using offsets, length compensation, or any other tool parameters.  Given that, is there any reason I couldn't simply treat ALL tools as tool #1?  I can't see where Mach would care....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »
Its 253 in Mill if my memory serves me  right and for your other question, no reason at all unless possibly you want to go to a toolchange position automatically, or stop automatically when a new tool is needed. Of course you could easily write that into the G Code.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »
Hood,

Thanks!  That's what I thought.  I already have an extensively customized SheetCAM post that does an explicit park before tool changes, and inserts an M00 prompting the user to put in the correct tool.  It also prompts me as needed to change motor speeds, pulleys, and any other conditions that require manual intervention.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
Think I will have to go read the manual, tooltable has 253 tools right enough but DRO will take tool 254.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Well, I solved my problem.  I just modified the post so it ignores the tool number passed in, and simply increments the tool number it passes to mach on each tool change.  So, as long as I never have a file that does 254 tool changes....  :-)

Thanks, Hood!

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.