Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 07:26:01 PM

Author Topic: machine from drawing  (Read 5464 times)

machine from drawing
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
What is the best way to machine with Mach directly from a drawing without using Mastercam to generate the G-code? The part has a spherical bowl for instance.
Re: machine from drawing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:48 PM »
Turn......or Mill ?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
Sorry, mill...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »
Do you mean without Mastercam..or ANY cam ?
Depends on the complexity of the profile, you could maybe patch in some wizards and touch up the code by hand.
You really need to post the DWG or DXF to describe exactly what you are wanting.
RC
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
I realize I will need some cam but would like a recommendation on the most practical and economical. I have not had experience with Lazycam. We have an off-site facility that does not have Mastercam and do not want to purchase it for that site. I don't have a particular drawing to post at this time. I can talk to the engineer and be more specific if I need to. Thanks for any input.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:29:31 PM »
Being sort of new at this myself, I cannot make any recommendations. I have learned however that "Practical and Economical" are very loose terms when it comes to CAD/CAM and can only be determined by the end user.
    Sort of like asking the same question about a make/model of automobile. Difficult, if not impossible to answer.
Different strokes for different folks. And of course you know that they aren't cheap.
Good luck,
RC

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
Hi, Tnsmachines

Posting a couple of drawings with a descriptions of how you thinking you want to do the Job would help.

As RC stated, High and Low prices & allot of makes/models out there.

Let us know, Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 12:27:59 AM »
Tough question as others have pointed out.
Actaully a buisness decision. Conventional  stuff you can do but all it takes is a simple
profile which you can't do manualy and then the CAD + CAM pays for itself rather quickly.
Of course it depends on where your comming from / resources you have available.
Need to look at the big picture of things and only you know that.
RICH

vmax549

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
There is no way to directly translate a drawing into a machine code file WITHOUT you doing all the math and programming by hand OR using a cad/cam system.

Simple 2.5 shapes are fairly easy to hand code, BUT a 3d spherical bowl is NOT one of those simple things to do well without Cad/cam. Can be done (;-) but not easiely.

Sorry, (;-) TP