Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:29:10 AM

Author Topic: Retrifit Chevalier Falcon Mill  (Read 40313 times)

Re: Retrifit Chevalier Falcon Mill
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
Hillbilly
Good point, I will try that. Update. Sent the power supply to Process Control Outlet for repair. When I dismantled it I found that the prvious owner had lost the power supply also and sent it to them. Upon calling them, they said return it has it had less than 3 hours run time on it from repair. They said they would look at at no cost. I will also purchase the Condor. But I also am making the plans to go forward with retrofit kit just in case as this is where I want to go anyway. If I have to spend more than the $100 for power supply and that doesnt repair it , in I go. So I am asking you people to help me make entire list of parts and software I will need to make entire project go to Mach with a beginning to end sequence. I will appreciate any and all help. I know you all have been there before and have learned from your expieriences, godd and bad, so please help me to get this as proper as I can as I need this machine for my work. I am trying to line up borrowing another mill now to tide me over.
thnaks frnew friends
racear

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2009, 04:35:09 AM »
racear
 Think you already have a SS and you know what you need regarding the Step/Dir to Analogue convertor so the other things you will need are probably some form of breakout board and some means of turning 5V into 24v and 24v to 5v. Well I am presuming your drive I/O will be 24V? Relays can do that easily abd fairly cheaply. A PLC can also do it over ModBUS but that will be more expensive.
 As for software then really only Mach and Windows 2000, XP or in my opinion as a very last resort Vista, but I know some strange people actually like Vista ;D

Hood
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »
Yes, you are correct. I purchased a 24v regulated power supply yesterday for $5. Explain to me about the breakout board. I am in the process of builoding a PC with XP to be on it. Hope to finish it this week end. Hope I can go touch screen(depends on $) Allready got license for Mach. No wonder you guys like this stuff. It is almost like me building my race engines and firing it on my dynomometer for the first time. When it roars to life, I still get gooses bumps even after 48 years of doing it. Lady of the house said I was having too much fun. Since this is anlogue, do I need to worry about noise more than usual??
Oops here she comes, got to sign off.
thanks youall
racear

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »
A breakout board in is simplest form is just a means to wire things up, it consists of a board that the parallel port cable plugs into and has terminals so you can connect your motor wires, limit wires etc. Usually however people buy isolated boards which can also have other functions such as relays on them, the big benefit to people with a parallel port is that these breakouts can usually accept the 3.3v signal that the modern ports put out and then send out a true  5v for the isolated I/O. With having the smooth stepper that wont be an issue for you but it is probably still best to use a breakout (or two) as the SS isnt (from what I understand) capable of supplying enough current to work relays etc.
 As for touch screens, I wouldnt be without one, both mills and the lathe have them. I bought normal TFT screens and just put the overlay panels inside their cases to turn them into touch screens. There are quite a few different sellers on eBay that sell these overlays.

Hood
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2009, 04:06:38 PM »
Hood
thanks on the breakout board.
And I found the overlay touch screens. Thanks that will let me use the LCD that I have. That helps on the budget.
racear