Hello Guest it is May 08, 2024, 05:32:04 AM

Author Topic: I am CYCO, but did I miss the BOAT?  (Read 8625 times)

I am CYCO, but did I miss the BOAT?
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:36:37 PM »
I have been using the Mach3 R2.0.045 demo version and LC that came with it, for about 2 weeks.  Yesterday I updated to LC Ver 2.635.  I am uploading 4 files, the CAD drawing, the .dxf and 2 .tap files.  Don't know if the CAD will do any good, but shouldn't do any harm.

I want the G-code generated to start climb-cutting, in one continious action, around the workpiece, starting at the bottom left, straight up or at the corner arc.  What I end up with is lead-ins on the inside of the part, multiple tool crossings of the part. and a lot of wasted movement.  I can edit out the lead-ins but don't care to re-write or spend hundreds of $$$ for other software to generate the code.

I have minimal experience operating  a CNC lathe, 25 yrs ago.

If there are questions about my PC......Abit IC-7 MB, running 2Gig of PC2700 ram, Prescott 3.0 Ghz CPU, Nvidia 5200 AGP video card.  Built for video processing.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, help, advice.

Cyco,
and persistant.
Re: I am CYCO, but did I miss the BOAT?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:38:05 PM »
Cyco,  I downloaded your dxf file.  It appears you have 12 unconnected pieces in your drawing.  The top, bottom and sides are continuous, but each of the corners contain two separate pieces that are not connected to the other pieces.  In order to get a continuous cut you will need to connect everything.  LCAM can be quirky, but I have produced some complex pieces that contain continuous runs.  Moving lead-ins is not hard and you can put it about anywhere once the drawing is correct.

I took a stab at redrawing your piece, but it looked like the task was going to take more time than I have this evening.

Good luck

Bob @ BobsShop - Turning off the lights.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »
Thanks Bob, I'll see if I can connect the dots.

Cyco
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
Hi guys, I still appear to be drowning.  I re-drew the part I posted above, tried to be sure no overlaps and no incompletes.  I understand the limit of code lines in the demo version, but now it seems that for the arcs in the part, I am missing something to generate the necessary I & J codes for them.  I have Incremental I & J codes checked, I think in the appropiate location.   Any relationship to Lead-in size, of which I am using straights for those.

I've un-installed Mach3 and installed the latest version, .057? w/LCam obviously.

Cyco
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:32:54 AM »
Cyco,

I downloaded your dxf and tap files.  The tap file produced your TOP with two inner circles, two larger outer circles, and one wavy outter perimeter.  I did a digital run (one line at a time) and the simulation worked fine.  The inner circles ran in a counter-clockwise direction and outer perimeter ran clockwise (climb milling).   The code (all 6,695 lines!!! of it) does not appear to have any curves, but seems to consist of individual dots that make up the entire file.  I don't know what type of software you are using to generate the dxf file, but that seems to be your problem.   I am not a cad-cam expert and cannot offer you much insight on this issue.  I use a free ware program called CADX11 to produce my drawings and dxf files.  Your dxf file seems to overwhelm my CADX program.

Good luck on figuring this one out.

Bob @ BobsShop - Studying the code.  It looks good - Its just so damned long!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 01:33:47 AM »
Cyco,

I did not reproduce your entire file, just the 4 circles.  I drew them in Cadx, exported into a DXF file, then uploaded the dxf into LCAM, and produced the attached code.  As you can see, the code produced arcs or circles, not individual dots.  Don't know if this will help you or not.

Once again.  Good luck

Bob @ BobsShop
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 06:45:29 AM »
Bob,

Thank you for your time and input.  I am using CadStd to create my drawings and I have played with eMachine 3D, cad software that produces 3D images that WILL NOT work at all with Mach3.  I'll give Cadx a look.

Again, thank you.

Cyco
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »
Cyco,

Not trying to beat a drum for any product over the other, but as I said, CAD X11 works for me, others have said they don'tl prefer to use it.  And, the price was right (free unlimited version).  Their website is - http://www.graytechsoftware.com/.    Documentation is limited and CADX can be quirky, but it appears from your abilities with other packages you would have no problems.  I have had no cad/cam experience and, so far,  have been able to build anything I wanted.

I am using CADX 11, Mach 3 (whatever the latest/greatest version is - I upgrade with every change they make - never know when a new problem they have solved will save me trouble), and cutting on a small TAIG mill.  Largest part cut so far has been about 8 X5.5 with half inch thick 6061 aluminum.

BTW - I just went into your code again.  Your tap program required 3,770 lines of code just to produce the circles.  The circles.tap I sent only required 180 lines.

Good luck.  Would like to see your finished product - when it is finished.

Bob @ BobsShop
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 05:59:21 PM »
Bob,

Thanks again.  I, early this AM, emailed for CADX11Free and have received the passwork and d/l'd the file.  Getting ready to install.

Let you know and see results.

Cyco

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:03:21 PM »
Hi guys, I still appear to be drowning.  I re-drew the part I posted above, tried to be sure no overlaps and no incompletes.  I understand the limit of code lines in the demo version, but now it seems that for the arcs in the part, I am missing something to generate the necessary I & J codes for them.  I have Incremental I & J codes checked, I think in the appropiate location.   Any relationship to Lead-in size, of which I am using straights for those.

I've un-installed Mach3 and installed the latest version, .057? w/LCam obviously.

Cyco

There are no arcs in your .dxf

Your CAD program is exporting them as short line segments, about ±1300 of them. The drawing still wasn't accurate, or symmetrical either. It's all on one layer, but try this.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html