Hello Guest it is May 14, 2024, 12:47:38 AM

Author Topic: My CNC pressbrake build  (Read 52948 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: My CNC pressbrake build
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
Oh, you mean it's not staying in that building? Better be one helluva cherry picker!!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
Oh, you mean it's not staying in that building? Better be one helluva cherry picker!!

All of the pieces will be bolted together. There is no way I can move it around my home shop without doing it this way. The side plates are 880lbs. and the smaller ones are around 425lbs.
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
Today I started milling up the frame for the brake. I got the sides almost done and started on the upper and lower beams.

Upper beam

Lower beam

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
You'll be bending before you know it.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:38 AM »
I got the cylinders assembled and tested.

Did a little bit more work to the lower beam.

More work on the upper beam.

Cylinder test fit.
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »
Finished drilling all the holes in the side plates.

Finished tapping the last hole in the upper beam.

Turned some 4340 spuds to mount the cylinders to the beam.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 11:26:59 PM »
Have you made any more progress on your project? I am very interested in the outcome of your design. Looks like great Craftsmanship so far. I have a four foot brake built by another individual that I purchased instead of building one as I originally planned but I haven't been satisfied and am now considering building a new one. I would like to see yours if possible when you finish. I am only up in Lebanon and make it to Eugene every once in awhile. I am curious what shop you work for? I have had a few large projects done down there in the past.

Only thing I would worry with the smaller linear bearings is if they will hand the twisting force if you tried to bend something off center. The last shop I managed had a 300 ton 12' Brake and we bent on the ends frequently when forming the corner of a tray or something similar. I realized it is best practice to bend in the center of a brake but clearance issues sometimes always don't agree. 

Looking forward to your updates

Jason
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 01:02:24 AM »
Have you made any more progress on your project? I am very interested in the outcome of your design. Looks like great Craftsmanship so far. I have a four foot brake built by another individual that I purchased instead of building one as I originally planned but I haven't been satisfied and am now considering building a new one. I would like to see yours if possible when you finish. I am only up in Lebanon and make it to Eugene every once in awhile. I am curious what shop you work for? I have had a few large projects done down there in the past.

Only thing I would worry with the smaller linear bearings is if they will hand the twisting force if you tried to bend something off center. The last shop I managed had a 300 ton 12' Brake and we bent on the ends frequently when forming the corner of a tray or something similar. I realized it is best practice to bend in the center of a brake but clearance issues sometimes always don't agree. 

Looking forward to your updates

Jason

I made a few more little brackets for it and started the die holders. I am going to assemble the frame this weekend.

I work for Parker cylinder.
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
Good luck with your progress. A friend of mine built some hydraulic test benchs for your shop last year I believe.
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »
I did not have to work today, so I went in and made the upper and lower die holders. Hopefully tomorrow I can start assembling the whole thing.