Hello Guest it is May 08, 2024, 05:43:49 PM

Author Topic: DRO readout delay and motor calibration behaviour.  (Read 3298 times)

DRO readout delay and motor calibration behaviour.
« on: July 10, 2023, 09:08:58 PM »
Hi all,
Couple of things...
I'm struggling with setting up a mill. For background, I've had a router and a plasma cutter for some time, they both run on steppers and the cheap Chinese breakout board (the red hymcu one with the eagle logo). I have had no issues with these.
When i decided to fit my mill with motors, I thought I would try servos and bought a motion card...(WiXHC USB one) - which took me a while to get going, but finally I found a way...and it's running the motors.
However, there are two things I'm trying to figure out.
1. The dro lags behind the motor move. It's still runs for a second after it's stopped. It seems to read more or less right, but is delayed. I don't have any experience of this before and I can't see anything in the manual about it.
2. Really odd behaviour when I try to calibrate the motors. When I set it to move 5 mm and get the number of steps to be right on...and then get it to move 10mm, it moves further (like 10.5mm)! If I type in for it to move 1mm it doesn't move that far (like 0.85mm). if I go back to 5mm it's right again. The scale is set to 1.
Any ideas anyone?
Re: DRO readout delay and motor calibration behaviour.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 12:12:28 AM »
OK, i've figured out that the measurement problem is adjustment in the bed...which now I've tightened it up...is consistent. Der!
But still not understanding why the DRO is lagging the actual move.