Hello Guest it is May 09, 2024, 07:29:29 AM

Author Topic: No VFD voltage...  (Read 26432 times)

Offline H2

•  26 26
    • View Profile
Re: No VFD voltage...
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »
For what it is worth I am in the same exact spot as Bill regarding no voltage at the signal output form the combo board Rev.  Bill has detailed my issue like he is here in my workshop...

If anyone has come up with a solution I would love to hear it.

All the best, Henry
Spindle-less in Seattle

BClemens

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 06:39:18 AM »
Henry,

I'm going to attempt to get you through this problem - I'm no expert but BTDT...

I found that the Rev. 5 set-up guide is basically wrong. Not seriously, but just enough that if you follow it to the letter you will not be successful. Disregard checking and setting the VFD voltage on Test points 9 and 3. I'm not sure where that came from but those test points don't have a thing to do with the VFD. Go ahead and check - and set - the voltage (with 3600 rpm's entered in the "Spindle Speed" (lowest input block with speed percentage at 100%) - checking on the terminal strip on the combo-board "Spindle Speed Analog Output" on the "Connector Pin Out" page.(BTW - that is the most useful page in the entire guide.)  Check right on the screw terminals. You should be able to set the voltage to 10.0 volts using "Vr1" without any problem. (This is with the VFD NOT hooked up.) Then enter 1800 rpm's (50%) and check for 5.0 volts - that will vary a bit so not to worry there. The 10 volts is the set point because of the input to some VFD's that will not (or should not) go over frequency.  ---- This gave me the most problem...silly me trying to go by the book....

What make VFD do you have? Reason I ask is that most of them don't output much power at low speeds so after you get the initial set-up voltages correct, then play with the motor pulley settings for the ratios that you may need. You'll find that very interesting! Take notes and you'll see the logic...

Do this set-up and let us know how you are doing.....

This HOOD guy is on top of this stuff and I read his input very often. He is helping so much here that I wonder how he can multi-multi-multi-task so well. That's a big juicy one for you HOOD!

Bill Clemens   - and I'm still not done setting this machine up....trying to hold my temper as much as I can...BOOM!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:47:52 AM by BClemens »

Offline H2

•  26 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »
Bill thanks for the reply - I had a feeling about the test pins.... I believe I measured on the screws but will go through your process again and post back later.

I am using a Minarik DC drive board.  It had come with the machine and ran well and works off a 0-10Vdc input so figured I would leave well enough alone. 

Appreciate all your help - and understand your frustration ;-)
All the best, Henry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
Bill
 Have never set up a spindle via a VFD so probably wont be much help :(. Have a servo on the lathe and the new mill will also be a servo, the Bridgeport is VFD but its not controlled via Mach as I never got around to it and wont be doping it now as when the Beaver Mill is finished the Bridgeport will either be sold or get put in a corner and only used occasionally.
 Will read through and see if I can get a grip on what your problem is.
Hood

BClemens

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
Henry,

Don't you need the PWM output for that DC motor - or maybe the driver/controller needs the analog voltage? The VFD is used primarily for an inverter system where you are driving a three phase motor with a phase inverter/variable frequency drive - driving an AC motor. Looks like a DC motor would need either the Pulse Width Modulator output from Mach3 or a Step and Direction output to a DC drive system for that motor....?

Just wondering out loud...

Hood, don't look right now for troubles. I'm making great slashes of progress but the stumbling blocks are coming up where I will wish to beg for your assistance.

Thanks,
Bill Clemens

Offline H2

•  26 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 11:21:27 AM »
Bill

Thanks, you may be right I am pouring over the Minarik manual now... I know it works from a 10Vdc signal.

Test pin 2&3 will get you the voltage measurement - must have been a typo in the manual.

All the best, Henry
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
Bill

Thanks, you may be right I am pouring over the Minarik manual now... I know it works from a 10Vdc signal.

Test pin 2&3 will get you the voltage measurement - must have been a typo in the manual.

All the best, Henry

If that's a Minarik DC motor controller, it requires a 0-10V analog voltage, exactly as would be provided to a VFD.  Whether you need a STEP/DIR or PWM output from Mach is determined by the Digital-to-Analog interface you're using between your PC and the Minarik.  In either case, you need to provide the 10V from the Minarik (the two end connections of the speed control potentiometer) back to the output side of the D-to-A interface board, and it will provide the variable DC voltage that connects to the wiper on the manual potentiiometer speed control.  The potentiometer, of course, must be removed.

Regards,
Ray L.

Regards,
Ray L.

BClemens

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 11:45:52 AM »
So it must be a voltage controlled PWM....interesting. You may also need to go to the "Motor Tuning and Set-up" dialog page and set the spindle to something like 10000 steps per with a velocity of 60 and acceleration to something like 220 with 1 uS pulses - save settings then 'enter'. If the spindle box is not available to click on then you haven't set-up the spindle correctly for 'motor control' in 'ports and pins'.

Still shooting....

And - yes, what Ray said...

Bill Clemens
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 11:54:57 AM »
So it must be a voltage controlled PWM....interesting. You may also need to go to the "Motor Tuning and Set-up" dialog page and set the spindle to something like 10000 steps per with a velocity of 60 and acceleration to something like 220 with 1 uS pulses - save settings then 'enter'. If the spindle box is not available to click on then you haven't set-up the spindle correctly for 'motor control' in 'ports and pins'.

Still shooting....

And - yes, what Ray said...

Bill Clemens

"So it must be a voltage controlled PWM....interesting." - Yup.  Typical circuit is a voltage ramp generator (sawtooth waveform), going into one side of a comparator, and the control voltage (from the speed control pot, or external voltage) going into the other side of the comparator.  When the ramp voltage is higher than the control voltage, the motor output is switched on.  When the control voltage is higher than the ramp voltage, the motor output is switched off.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

BClemens

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 12:04:29 PM »
Yes, I understand. Just thinking how far around the elbow this is to come up with the variable pulse width. First you must change an varying analog voltage to a varying frequency - A to D converter - and then a circuit similar to what you describe except that this is a fixed frequency PWM. That's doesn't seem very efficient and the DC motor would squeal at low speeds like a little piggy.

Bill Clemens