Hello Guest it is May 11, 2024, 07:51:59 PM

Author Topic: Any documentation on the "simulator" plugin?  (Read 529 times)

Any documentation on the "simulator" plugin?
« on: January 11, 2023, 08:02:05 PM »
I'm talking about the one that is built-in to the hobby version.

Does this create an off-line twin of a machine?  (nice for testing macros and scripts I guess)

Thanks
Brian

Offline smurph

•  1,548 1,548
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Any documentation on the "simulator" plugin?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 02:02:33 AM »
It is simply a motion simulator to use test of the software.  It is not meant to make a twin of a machine where it can mimic what output #1 does on your physical machine, etc...  This is because it does not mimic any real motion plugin that runs real hardware. 

I would say plugin developers use it more as a test bench comparison because the "simulator" (we call it just Sim) always does the right thing.  So if there is a problem they are dealing with, they can look to see if the problem also exists with Sim.  In that case, there may be something wrong inside Mach.  But most of the time, Sim shows the developer that there is something wrong with the way their plugin is working.  And if they can't figure it out, they get with me and we work it out.  Sim is a litmus test, so to speak. 

So to answer your question directly, there is no direct documentation with Sim.  But it isn't too hard to figure what all it does by entering its configuration dialog.  Every option it has is in there.

Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »
Ah good.  I was wanting to use it to test out the scripts and macros for my toolchanger without having the toolchanger present (for safety reasons).  Just hoping to see the DRO move and potentially some messages come through the log in response to inputs.

Is there a sample config that you can give me? (I’m using an older version .4764 or something), it looks like there has been alot of changes since then.

Thanks
Brian

Offline smurph

•  1,548 1,548
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 02:43:05 PM »
Sample config for the Simulator?  No.  I just use it with the defaults.  The menu path Configure->Plugins->Simulator is the plugins configuration dialog.  All of out stock profiles have the simulator as their motion device.  The Simulator plugins needs to be enabled in the Configure->Control...  and then Plugins tab.  And then the Simulator needs to be the selected motion device in Configure->Select Motion Dev...  Then the system needs to be restarted. 

Steve
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 05:39:56 PM »
Perfect. I’ll have to play.

Do you think it will do what i need?

Offline smurph

•  1,548 1,548
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 07:45:28 PM »
For motion in the DROs, yes.  For inputs and outputs, they will probably not match your real world motion plugin.  :( 

Steve