Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:08:07 AM

Author Topic: A natural science project ?  (Read 12664 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
A natural science project ?
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
Here is an interesting natural science experiment / project for children and others, like me, who never grow-up.

For Millennia the basic building block for nature has been observed and extremely well documented but only in relatively recent times (since the introduction of our Hindu-Arabic numbering system) could it be expressed so easily in mathematical terms.

The ratio 1 : (1 + √5) / 2  is all around us and because it occurs naturally we perceive it as being ‘pleasing to the eye’ so to this end we have duplicated it in our architecture, art and just about everything else. We call it the Golden Mean.

It should perhaps be emphasized that this ratio it is not a law, carved in stone, because there will always be exceptions it is merely a trend but, in nature, it occurs more often than not.

The infinite pair of  numbers in the Fibonacci series 1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89… are again in exactly the same ratio and if we look closely at our plants, fruits, trees etc. these numbers and the ratio are there.

Getting back to the experiment / project, the attached .dxf can be used to make a set of callipers whose points follow this ratio so that we can measure the things around us, learn from the experience and perhaps even inspire others.

(these callipers are perhaps not quite as accurate as I would like them to be but it’s a start).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: A natural science project ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
Very Cool Tweakie!

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:21:25 PM »
Thank you

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
It’s  a few years down the line now but have you ever wondered just why our credit cards etc. have that particular aspect ratio ??

Tweakie.
PEACE