Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:04:29 AM

Author Topic: Thinking of a new wrapper function for MAch3.  (Read 28682 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Thinking of a new wrapper function for MAch3.
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:57:40 AM »
SOme of the new cncs have a Gcode wrapper function where you can redirect the Y axis code to the A axis for polar machining.  Haas runs it as G107

I think it can be done with Mach3 and use an Mcode to convert mach3 to think that the A axis is really the Y axis  (not a problem there)

AND the key part the Axis could then run as a linear axis as Y . That way you can run Original Gcode without having to convert the Y arcs to line segments as MACH3 cannot do X/A or Z/A arcs. BUT if mach thinks that is is really Y then it will not know the difference and could cut some great smooth art on the rotary.

Best part it would run Gcode directly from a 2.5D cam.  No conversion needed

SO what do you think something needed/cool or delusional in need of medical help (;-).

Yes I know, late at night, can't sleep, need something to do type thingy.

Just a thought,(;-) TP

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:59:11 AM by BR549 »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of a new wrapper function for MAch3.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:52:30 AM »
Hi Terry,

I think it is a great idea and look forward to following your progress.  8)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:20:30 AM »
Terry,
No, not far fetched from lack of sleep at all.

Most are inplementing 4th axis to the mill. So a takeoff would be what your suggesting.
I have thought differently and that is to add milling to the lathe.

I was fooling around a few years ago on the lathe. Provided a stepper driven spindle, used a high speed rotary tool mounted on the carriage, setup the spindle as linear A and also angular, then with the Z at feed rate and A turning you could machine some nice deisgns over a shaft. I guess i was trying to slave the two axes also. The problem was a stepper for the spindle was not good since you would get changing feedrate which was not linear and limited. (As spindle speed / feedrate  was increased the stepper torque was on the down side and the torque required to turn the spindle was increasing). One of these days I'll splurge and get a servo and drive to fool arond with.

The nest step was to add the equivilant of the mill Z axis to the carriage. Still in the works .....just another project to be done.

That thinking was, once a piece was cnc turned, one could do additional machinng / milling without removing it from the lathe. Or do some things that normaly would required the 3D process and avoid setup or transfer of the piece to the mill.

I will remark that the above was for small stuff.

Play with the idea and see where it takes ya,

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
There must be something BAD wrong in my thinking as this has been much too simple. I don't have a mach3 4th axis here to do actual testing but in sim the basics are done,just putting in some safety code for dummies like me.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
ONE thing I have noticed for good resolution it will require a good bit of gearing reduction.  Depending on what resolution you need and what size (diameter ) piece you are cutting.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »
OK a Question for posible users.

WOuld you want this as a macro call  M107P# Q# for ON and M108 for OFF

Or a Wizard?

Or both ?

OR OTHER ??

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
Well I have it in Mcode form and wizard Form.  I am still testing for glitches and thinking of any more safety code to be added.  BUT so far it is a hoot.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:41:24 AM »
Hi Terry,

I think the wizard approach would be the easiest for the inexperienced to understand and use so may appeal to a greater cross section of Mach3 users (myself included).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »
Terry,
Both.
The wizard would be a single machining step while the macro would allow use in a gcode file with other machining steps.

True ?,
RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
Actually the Wizard just sets up MACH3 to switch to cylindrical mode with Y running the A which is setup in linear mode based on the part diameter. As to Mach3 it acts exactly like it does now only the Y drives the A axis and you can move Y through A if needed.

I just need a brave volunteer that has a 4th axis up and running to test it (;-). I was poking at Brian to make it a Mach3/4 function as new modern controllers have it Haas runs it as G107 From Brians point it would be simple.

SO here is the wizard to play with. I tried to make sure everything gets backed up BEFORE you can run it (;-) Self preservation mode. SO it worst case it gives you the option to totally restore Mach3 back to the beginning.

(;-)TP