Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:24:15 PM

Author Topic: bench testing the parallel port and pins -questions and issues  (Read 8998 times)

bench testing the parallel port and pins -questions and issues
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
HI all,
I'm pretty new to this side of the game. I have a basic knowledge of how mach runs off a parallel port,but before i do something potentially foolish, I'm wondering if someone could give a little direction.

First of all, I just d/l'd mach and licensed it. Its not yet connected to anything. I opened up the ports and pin page, set the e-stop to active low (green tick mark) saved it and returned to the main screen. Port address is good also just in case..
Correct me if I'm am wrong but I should be able to press e-stop and be in a ready state? Correct?
Ive watched Art's video and what he is doing does not match the results that I am experiencing...something is amiss.
If I return to ports and pins and change e-stop to active high (red x) and save settings, when I return to the main screen and press e-stop, I should NOT be able to clear the stop... Is this correct?

the reason I ask is because regardless of the pin setting, Mach will clear the e-stop if I depress the button. Am I missing something?

And lastly,

Ugh.. Is it okay to place a jumper directly into a  printer port? - to activate the e-stop cct? or a limit sw. and if so can whatever input pin that is selected be grounded to any to the pins between 18 and 25? ie.. to e-stop on a campbell b/o board pin 10 port1 to ground.
the reason I ask is because my multimeter is reading 5 v on all pins... -except 18-25... Is this right? I feel that I am missing something and when I realize what that is. I'll feel kinda silly, but enlightened.

I hope this sort of make sense.. I'm really really fresh and green when it comes to this side of things..

Thanks in advance..

JR.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:48:41 PM by JSRichards »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: bench testing the parallel port and pins -questions and issues
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »
You should not be able to toggle the reset with active High chosen and nothing connected to that pin so sounds like there is a problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:43:14 PM »
Thanks Hood.
This condition exists on three seperate machines.. "right out of the box" so to say..in other words Ive downloaded onto a PC and this is what happens when I follow along step for ste[ with Art in the very first of the introductory vids.  This happens on a new machine as well as "seasoned" ones.  It doesnt matter whether they are programmed Act Hi or Act Lo. I can change the state of Mach regardless of pin assignment.. Is it possible that there is something I am missing?

also is it okay to place jumpers directly between pins on the parallel output on the motherboard? Ie. could i put 5 v dc to an input pin and a ground and/or  as well as short out outputs to any ground between 18 and 25?
-for the purposes of bench testing the signals ...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:00:05 PM by JSRichards »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:21:51 AM »
Can you attach your xml as something is weird for sure.

I am no expert on electronics or the parallel port, I have jumpered wires between inputs and gnd pins before for testing but whether its recommended I wouldnt like to say.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:51:22 AM »
Pins 18 to 25 are grd and i have been told to jumper / tie all the grd pins together . So a wire is run accross and ties each pin together at the connection on my controller / not at the pc. This is done since the pc internal resistance of each pin can be different and to avoid noise. That info came from a electronics engineer.

Like hood i have grounded pp output pins to the grd pins 18 to 25 with no problems when testing.

My electronics background is limited so lets see what the electronics guys out there have to say.

RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
My opinion,

It is OK to take any parallel port input pin directly to GND.
Any other connections require a (current limiting) series resistor to be on the safe side. (some MOBO's have current limited I/O circuits whilst some others may not).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »
Thanks for the "inputs" guys. Ive been reading section 4 of the mach 3 mill instal config pdf (posted in documentation section of support @ artsoft www)
Figure 4-7 shows a simple cct which uses a 470 ohm resistor...

im a littledslexic at times so this is a bit of a challenge.

Ive attached my xml (Mill1) its identicle to that which is provided when Mach is downloaded...Okay now to go figure out how to post a file...
BRB.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
Go to reply page then additional options and browse to the location of the xml. You will likely have to copy and rename the xml as the forum only allows a file name to be attached once so suggest you rename it to JSRichards.xml

Hood
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »
fifth try to upload a bloody file.. is this forum finicky or is it just my PC and connection...?

Anyway.. Here goes... I will rename my xml file JSR1 and the original recipie... that should be unique enough  to upload... ~sigh~
Jsr is the one I created and "original recipe is the file that came when I D/L 'ed Mach3  *(file version 3.043.022)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
hmmmm. I have no idea why the two are different sizes...

I'm in a bad way. My machine has broken down and I'm not sure yet what the problem is... I know Ive looked at a hundred different things.. These XML files should be identical as I haven't really done anything except twiddle with the estop ..and they arent even on the PC attached to the machine.. Even though Mach on the machine behaves in a similar manner at this time.

if anyone sees something Ive missed or somehow rearranged.. Please let me know.. Thanks..