Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:22:33 AM

Author Topic: new Pc + Vista --> frequency variations in stepper  (Read 4384 times)

new Pc + Vista --> frequency variations in stepper
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:10:14 AM »
Hi,
I have a problem with my cnc machine. After two Ide Hdd had broken under my old Fujitsu Scenic Pc I decided to exchange the old Fujitsu mainboard with a new Elitegroup mainboard with dual core cpu. As i wasn't able to install xp on this mainboard I had to install windows Vista. I have already read the Vista Readme from the Mach3 Homepage and installed everything as described. Nevertheless the machine isn't running fine, as there a short, continuous variation in the frequency in the stepper (you can hear this). Under xp in combination with the old Fujitsu mainbaord everything went fine.
Now I'm not sure if the mainboard or Vista is responsible for this mistake.
Do you have any advice?

With best regards from Germany and thx for your help in advance
Step-walk 

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: new Pc + Vista --> frequency variations in stepper
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »
Have you gone through all the Mach optimizations for XP (as they apply to Vista)? Have you tried a driver test? What did it show?

I've seen some motherboards that just won't run the LPT driver correctly though.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
If you have them, disable EIST and C1E in the bios.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Hi,
ger21 you have made my day! Machine is running now very very smooth and clean. All i did is was to disable C1E in Bios. I though i have to give up the mainboard and was already on the verge of selling this mainboard and exchanging it with a new one.
Its unvelievable how clean the machine now runs, much better than with the old Fujitsu one. Its runs so well that you might think servos are assembled (and not steppers) Obviously the old mainboard was to slow for high frequencies. 

Thx, thx, and again thx all for you help ;)
Step-walk