Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:41:39 PM

Author Topic: My Balding Beaver  (Read 70597 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: My Balding Beaver
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »
H :D :DD,

Nothing better than having a good screw for the weekend.  and with a tight beaver . Ya , I faintly remember those days.LOL

;D ;D ;D

And even better, two screws ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »
BRAVO !
Good news for sure.
Better than any prices I found here in the US when I was looking.
Hoping they work out well for you and are as good as they look.
RC

Time will tell I suppose but they certainly look and feel good.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »
Hood,

Curious if you had already have the time to mount and test the new ball screws? Are they really what they claim them to be?

Thanks,
Daniel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2010, 07:04:45 AM »
Afraid not, time has been too short and also I am testing Rev4 with the Plugin interface (SS) so need the machine running.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
Bit of an update.
Spindle bearings started getting noisy after using the mill for a few weeks, I suppose it was mainly due to the lack of oil that the mill had been getting during its use by the previous owners. Got a price for the pair of precision bearings and had to sit down ;D Was going to cost me upwards of £350. Looked around a bit and got Brian in the USA to get me a few prices but taking into account shipping and customs it wasnt going to be much of a saving. Got a link to a place from a friend and when I emailed the guy came back saying he had NSK P3 class bearings rather than the P4 (P3 is better) and the price was £200 the pair all in :) Got the bearings and what a difference, much quieter than even when I first ran it. I measured the runout on the taper and couldnt even see the needle twitch then put a drill in the spindle and put the dial on the nose and pushed and pulled on the drill and again didnt see the needle move so I am happy :)

Not got the ballscrews fitted yet, hopefully I will get a chance in the next few weeks.

Have made a tool presetter for the mill, see pic, it uses a linear scale and goes into Mach on encoder 4 input.
 What I do is put a probe in the pocket and bring the setter down onto the probe and zero the Encoder DRO, I then move the preseeter up and replace the probe with a tool and bring the setter down to the tool. I then press a button and a box pops up asking what offset I want, I enter that and it writes the offset into the tool table, I then repeat with tool 2 etc etc.
It seems to be working well from simulation. I am about to make a new probe which will be powered via a battery and have a LED in it, so far all I have got done is the taper part of the body but hopefully I will get a few hours spare to complete it in the week ahead.
Hood
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:05:08 PM by Hood »
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
Fancy Shmancy Hood !
Looks like a good deal on the bearings.
How much larger are they than the std. BPort J head bearings (about $400 US last I looked)
Like the setter too. Will it hold .01 mm tol. ?  or better ?
Get them screws in and you will be good to go eh ?
Thanks,
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2010, 03:18:47 PM »
The quill is just over 4 inch dia compared to the Bridgeports 3 1/8th (i think), not sure what the actual size of the Bridgeports bearings are but these are 85mm OD  45mm ID and 19mm thick.

The scale is 0.005mm and I can bring the setter down onto a tool and then move fully up and bring down again and again and again... well you get the idea ;D and the DRO always comes back to the same place, so I think its good from these tests. Not actually tested it out on the machine yet as I just got it finished at 5PM today and the paint is still wet ;D

Yes really looking forward to getting the ballscrews in, wish they were a direct replacement instead of having to machine them to suit but at the price I got them for I dont suppose I can complain too much.

Hood
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
Great, I think they are substantially larger than the BP.  Same in my supermax. Was surprised to see how small they were for what they have to endure.
Are yours permanently lubed or do they have a supply system ?
Think mine are at install then a drop or 2 on the drawbar once in a while.

You need to change the res. on that DRO !  0.000 mm   But prob. not necessary.
Take care Hood,
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
Yes they are lubed via the auto lube pump, when I got it they werent getting too much as the gears in the pump were stipped in one spot so it just jumped back and forward without putting much oil out.

Ha ha nope I think 0.01mm is good enough :D
Hood

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »
Thought you guys might like to see my Beaver mill doing a tool change. Only one tool loaded in the movie but now have all 18 ready to go!
John.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45eE6aOWrI