Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:06:08 AM

Author Topic: How do you get the Work Offset Description from the Offset table in VB  (Read 5067 times)

Hi Does anyone know the parameter to use to get the Work Offset description from the work offset table.

I'd like to use this in a label on the offsets page to remind me what jig to be used with say, G55 offset.

I've done all of the VB for a label to display the result but stuck on the offset description.

Cheers
John
Re: How do you get the Work Offset Description from the Offset table in VB
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
I dont think you can get it. The toolDescription function was added by Art at my request.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
Here is the VB for that,
Art posted this on the Mach Yahoo forum a while back do a search there also in the future you will find many, many "Undocumented" pearls there.

GetToolDesc()  'this will get the tool description you can then put that in a label or ticker
i.e.  (I am using Ticker1 in this example, but it works for UserLabels as well.)

ToolNum = GetOEMDRO(824)
Desc = GetToolDesc(ToolNum)
Call SetTicker(1, "    " & Desc)

Also, here is some other Stuff Art Posted on the Yahoo forum dealing with getting and setting the Tool table:

To Set and Get Tool Table Parameters:

SetToolParam(SHORT toolnum, SHORT param, DOUBLE data) 'param { 1 = tool diamter, 2 = ZOffset, 3 = xwear, 3 = zwear }

GetToolParam(SHORT toolnum, SHORT param) 'param { 1 = tool diamter, 2 = ZOffset, 3 = xwear, 3 = zwear }

'Scott

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:12:57 AM by poppabear »
fun times
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the replys. I've been searching the forum and saw the GetToolDesc() topics.

What I was searching for was something like GetOffsetDesc() so I can use the Name List in the offset table.

What I'm trying to achieve is that I have Jigs set to make many items at once on the mill and each jig has a name.

I set a permanent work offset (G55) for example in the Work Offset table for each jig. At the end of each offset in the Work Offset table list  I can give the offset a name and write the jig name there.

On the Offsets page of Mach3Mill just above the fixture buttons I have made an extra label to display the Jig name.

So I have tried GetOffsetDesc() and GetOffsetParam () to no avail.

Currently I am renaming the fixture buttons to the jig name but will run out of buttons soon.

If there is no code for this then perhaps I'll make a separate fixtures page with an offset button for each jig.

If anyone has an easier idea, I'll be glad of the advice.

Many thanks

John

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 02:34:24 PM »
Hi John,

This is an old topic, but I'm curious to find out if you ever solved your issue? I'd like to do the same thing...

My current workaround is to create User Labels over buttons that call up a Question. Whatever is typed into the question field is then scripted back to the user label, and then is written and saved to an external text file. I then have a ScreenSetLoad macro that automatically reloads the text file contents into my user labels in order to make the label text persistent between runs of Mach3.

Laborious, but it works.

Would be curious is you've found a better solution.

Thanks,

Dotyman