Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:26:45 AM

Author Topic: Low Spindle Speed limit  (Read 10872 times)

Low Spindle Speed limit
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »
New to brains.
I would like to prevent (or stop in an orderly manner) execution whenever the spindle rpm is lower that the a certain % of set speed.
The objective is to prevent scrapping a job if the spindle slows down abnormally after many hours of work.
How would you do this with a brains?
Gaston Gagnon

Re: Low Spindle Speed limit
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
Gaston,
    I"m hardly an expert, having created my first brain yesterday, but I would expect you'd want a brain that monitored the spindle RPM DRO, and whether the spindle is running.  Test the spindle RPM, and, if too low, force the program to stop, by sending either a Program Stop or E-Stop button press.  I wouild think you could use the "Spindle is Running LED" to know that the spindle is on.  You'll also want a delay on the Spindle is Running LED input, to prevent the brain from executing before the spindle has come up to speed.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
set up a brian that has a User DRO to set you Low limit speed, and use an LED to enable the brain to function once you up to intial speed, then have it Pause when Speed to low.

Brain is attached below.

In Screen Designer 3 or 4 open your screen and put the below into it.

You will need to drop a "UserDRO 2000" onto your screen somewhere so you can set the "Too slow" RPM limit. (you can change this limit by changing the value
in the DRO (remember to tick off "Persistant DROs" under General config if you want it to retain from BOOT up to Boot up.
You will need to drop a "User LED 2000" somewhere with a VB button that will allow you to toggle its state from on to off, and back
this LED is what will control if the above brain will be activly watching your spindle or not. (so you can turn it on and off at will).

NOTE!!!!!!!:  It uses "TRUE Spindle RPM" Dro to base its compares off of, so you WILL have to have Tack Feed back so Mach can know
what your actual Spindle speed is in the real world.

The VB code needed in that button is:

If GetUserLED(2000) Then
SetUserLED(2000, 0)
Else
SetUserLED(2000,1)
End If

scott
fun times
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 05:00:18 AM »
Hi Scott,
I'm new to brains so please forgive my ignorance.  Is there a way to test and only activate the spindle monitoring if you are in auto cycle AND an axis is feeding? Long story short, if I'm running a program on my lathe, I don't want to feed X or Z if the spindle isn't turning.
Thanks - Franco
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 01:04:21 AM »
Hi Scott,
I'm new to brains so please forgive my ignorance.  Is there a way to test and only activate the spindle monitoring if you are in auto cycle AND an axis is feeding? Long story short, psiphon if I'm running a program on my lathe, I don't want to feed X or Z if the spindle isn't turning.
Thanks - Franco

Test the spindle RPM, and, if too low, force the program to stop, by sending either a Program Stop or E-Stop button press.