Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 10:49:23 AM

Author Topic: Spindle encoder  (Read 7249 times)

Spindle encoder
« on: August 03, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »
Just curios if SS suports the qaud encoder on spindle yet?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle encoder
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:56:33 AM »
Nope :(
 Think a few things in Mach needed to change and now thats been done Greg is working on it.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »
thanks Hood , I havent been keeping up , my SS is due to arrive this week and I was just hoping

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
Heres what Greg said just a couple of hours ago.
I hit a snag with Soft Limits. I needed to add a lot of variables, but the assembler is having heartache over it. I am waiting for a response from tech support, but if I don't hear back soon I will implement a workaround.

I am working on threading, but haven't finished it yet. In my testing, I discovered a data flow issue that was causing it to burp. I am getting close to finishing up a good fix for that. I'm going to be able to spend a lot more time on the SS this week.

Thanks,

Greg

I think however that it will not be encoder use at first, I am sure it will just be single pulse, which I am presuming will mean that the Index pulse of an encoder will be fine, think I will try and get a hold of Greg to clarify.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »
Talked with Greg earlier this evening and yes the Index pulse will be suitable for the spindle sync in threading. Later on there are plans to fully integrate the encoder but that will have to wait until after the single pulse version is working and proving itself.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:18:15 PM »
My encoder has an index pulse , will I need to build the circuit detailed in the other thread on spindle encoders?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:45:34 AM »
Not sure which thread you are referring to but dont think you will need any circuit as your encoder should have all circuitry internally. It will just be a case of connecting the Index pulse to the SS, well as long as its 5V that is.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:23:50 AM »
here is the thread I was refering to   http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,6969.0.html  as I re-read it the circuit was in the event I didnt have an index pulse from the encoder so I assume it wont be needed .

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »
Ah missed that altogether. What that circuit does, from my understanding, is it reads the Index pulse from an encoder then delays the switch off so that Mach has time to read it via the parallel port, basically is sees the short pulse and puts out a longer one, wont be needed for the SS but could be utilised if you have an encoder and were using the parallel port.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »
Any (tested) news about sync-tapping/rigid-tapping with the SS?
CAN it be possible at all?

Greetz, Marc
Plz excuse my english, I'm german :-D