Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:00:06 PM

Author Topic: Pics of my Plasma table  (Read 7670 times)

Offline Bobo

•  41 41
    • View Profile
    • Haus Metalworks
Pics of my Plasma table
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:23:56 AM »
I still haven't actually cut any metal but I have a pencil mounted and can draw scorpions.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:25:32 PM by Bobo »
Re: Pics of my Plasma table
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:59:05 PM »
Good looking rig! Have you made any fire on it? Look to clean  ;)

Keep up the good work and thank you for the pic!
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

ynneb

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 12:01:46 AM »
Thats a beautiful example. Thanls for posting the pics. I look 4ward to seeing what you eventually cut on it.

Offline Bobo

•  41 41
    • View Profile
    • Haus Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 02:34:17 PM »
Here is a picture of the torch mounted and the first part off the table. I don't quite have the plasma arc perpendicular to the work so I'm getting some slight angular changes on the cuts.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 04:30:29 AM »
hiya

im very impressed with your efforts!!!. i want to build a plasma table as well. can you advise me what type of plasma torch is best suited to cnc use? i am tempted to purchase a Chinese plasma torch,since they are so cheap, but am unsure if these are suitable. how do you initiate your ark?, what height control do you use?
any advice would be much appreciated

best regards dave brown

Offline Bobo

•  41 41
    • View Profile
    • Haus Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:40:55 PM »
Sorry I can't tell you which one is best, I wouldn't know. I am using a Hypertherm Powermax 1000. I initiate the arc thru Mach3 with a M3 (spindle on) command and I am using Bob Campbells THC300 controller.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:42:27 PM by Bobo »
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
How much power do you need in your shop to be able to supply the Hypertherm Powermax 1000. I am trying to determine if I have adequate power in my shop to take on such a project and have not been able to determine what input power the 1000 or 1200 needs.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Nice looking build by the way.

Larry
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »
Dave, I would suggest you not go with one of the chinese models.  You are much better off with a plasma torch that has a pilot-arc capability.  The cheaper models you speak of rely on the head to actually touch the workpiece to create a high frequency arc.  This high frequency is a sure way to destroy your electronics.  I learned the hard way and blew my xylotex board the first time it arced.  Cut quality is not as good in these models either.  Also the consumables wear out twice as fast and can sometimes be hard to get.  You'll end up spending the money you saved buying the chinese model on large amounts of consumables and sensitive electronic equipment.  Hope this helps you a little.  A nice moderately priced plasma in my opinion is the Lincoln Pro-Cuts.    BTW... Awesome plasma you built there.  great job BoBo!