Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 11:06:30 PM

Author Topic: GRex Spindle Step/Dir setup  (Read 10636 times)

GRex Spindle Step/Dir setup
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:32:46 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am working my way through a CNC lathe upgrade (the controls were nearly pre-DOS) and i am using the GRex and Mach3 to run things and i have most of it worked out however i can't work out how to set up the spindle in Mach. I have the X and Z axis working fine but i can't work out how to move the spindle.

The spindle is setup to run through a G320 the same as the other axes (The G320 happily holds it's position as expected with no spindle signal sent), i can't find a setting to tell the Grex which output channel (A,B or C) the spindle is on. In the spindle setup tab i have the step/dir enabled in the motor control group, In the motor outputs tab i have tried with just the spindle enabled, with just the axis the spindle is wired on enabled (A initally but i even rewired it to C after thinking i remembered reading this was important somewhere) and with both of these on.

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Lost Tourist

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: GRex Spindle Step/Dir setup
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »
You seem to be saying that you are running your spindle with a stepper motor or similar - requiring step and direction pulses.

The spindle does not share a channel - it has it's own output, which can be configured just like an axis.

If you look under Config/Ports and Pins/Motor Outputs, the bottom line is for the Spindle, which you can configure to the pins/output port etc you are using.

As you say, you can then set Step/Dir option in the Spindle Setup page.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:09:13 AM »
Lost, I see what your saying. This is a good one. I will be thinking about this. At present I think you will have to do some VB magic to pull it off but I just woke up.  ;D

Have you looked at the guide? I know it doesn't cover this but might be good for some hints.  http://www.machsupport.com/docs/G100_Set_Up_Guide_Rev.1_9-19-07.pdf

Brett
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:10:44 AM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:05:15 AM »
Brett - I will leave this one to you, having just browsed through the G100 set up notes. That's the trouble with hard wiring !!!

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:38:40 AM »
Three things came to mind.

1. I don't think the first is feasable - run the spindle step/dir through two of the other 16 output pins - I dont think it will be fast enough.
2. There must be an allocation table somewhere, to allocate the info from Mach 3 to the Ethernet transmitter. Can you not swap the allocation of say, axis C with the  step/dir of the Spindle Output.
3. Will Mach 3 run a second port when running the Ethernet. You would only need three wires to run a drive for the Spindle. I would hard wire this to a printer type lead and run it seperately.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:32:53 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts so far. It's good to know I wasn't just overlooking something obvious.

I'm kind of hoping the solution is more number 2 than any of the others. I assume no one has tried this before?

Lost Tourist

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:56:12 AM »
Yes - There must be, to allocate the outputs to fixed outputs - unfortunately I am not privvy to that information.
Perhaps Brett can come up with something.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:18:03 AM »
Dang guys, I'm sorry. I forgot about this one. Let me look at a couple of things. Please bump this topic if I don't post to it in a day or two.

Brett

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:05:47 AM »
Hi Guys:

To use a step/dir spindle in a G100, turn on all axis in config/ports&pins except the C axis , and restart the program. The spindle will now be
the C axis. Set the port and pin of the C axis for the spindle output. Shoudl work fine then..

Art

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »
Lost, please let me know how this works out. I will add this info. to the setup guide.

Brett