Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:42:24 AM

Author Topic: Video Cripples Jogging  (Read 4116 times)

Video Cripples Jogging
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:32:15 AM »
Hello,

I have a Sherline 5410 (metric 5400) 3 axis CNC mill and a PMDX controller that I normally run with TurboCnc version 4.x under DOS.

I am new to Mach3 and just exploring it until I am comfortable with the features that I need. Video capabilities are of especial interest to me.

I am running the latest Mach3 version on a 700MHz Compaq Armada 700 laptop under Windows XP. My Webcam is a 3Com Watchport/V #301-9010-01 with a 12mm lens. The Webcam is mounted on the Z axis pointed straight down at the XY table.

I have rapids set for 20 inches per minute. Jogging works fine until I select Video Window or 3d Video Probe from the Plug In list.

Video itself works ok but jogging speed is then about 1/25 inch per minute (maybe 1mm per minute?). The problem also persists after I exit the Video Window. Reseting motors does not help. To get jogging to work right I exit Mach3 and then start Mach3 again.

Video cripples both continuous and incremental jogging. I have not tried to move motors with any other method.

If I simultaneously run the camera vendor's software for the video and run Mach3 for the motors then all is well. That is, these two programs play nice together.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net