Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:38:32 PM

Author Topic: Coil winding machine ( Wizard needed)  (Read 254966 times)

ynneb

Coil winding machine ( Wizard needed)
« on: November 21, 2005, 07:31:30 PM »
There is some talk in another forum about making a coil winding machine, for winding transformers, guitar pickups etc.
I was wondering if the was any wizards in Mach that does this?

How hard would it be to make a wizard that takes ito account.....
Wire thickness
Spool width
Spool thickness
Adjustments for each layer of wire ( as the spool gets thicker)
Etc

Has any one done this?

I think this could be a really handy feature in addition to Mill, Turn, you could also have Wind.

Dumb Idea?

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Regards Benny
Mach Support www.machsupport.com

Original forum discussion http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14971

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:47:39 AM by ynneb »

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Re: Coil winding machine ( Wizard needed)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 03:25:35 PM »
Benny that pic looks great.

I was thinking about winding coils also, I need to wind some solenoids. It seems to me that a wizzard for lathe would make more sence. If you think about it laying down coils is a lot like cutting threads.
If you added a spool diameter and had a lookup table you could also calculate coil resistance based on the wire diameter and calculate how many feet were going to be used. You would also need to know the bare copper wire OD and the wire with the insulator OD.  for example I looked up a 24 gauge wire..

BARE WIRE SPECIFICATIONS:

DCR based on resistivity of 10.371 ohms per circular mil foot @ 20°C ( 100%IACS Conductivity)
AWG    Bare Min.    Bare Nom.    Bare Max.    DCR Min.    DCR Nom.    DCR Max.    cmils    feet per lb
24       0.0199       0.0201        0.0203        25.17         25.67            26.19              404     818

INSULATED WIRE SPECIFICATION:
Values listed below are derived from the NEMA MW1000-1997 Standard or MWS Wire Industries internal inspection criteria
Insulation Build    Insulated Min.    Insulated Nom.    Insulated Max.    Film Increase Min.    Feet per LB.
Single                       0.0209         0.0213           0.0217             0.0010               804.5
Heavy                      0.0218        0.0223          0.0227            0.0019                      790.5
Triple                        0.0228          0.0233            0.0238              0.0029                776.5
Quad                      0.0234        0.0242          0.0250              .0035               762.5

As you can see the diff between the single insulated and the quad is 42 feet per LB, or 435.582 ohms.
It would be great to calculate impedance, however this becomes difficult because of the difference of the bobbin and the frequency.

Any how just some food for thought..

Chad

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 03:23:02 PM »
http://www.circuitcellar.com/renesas/winners/3339.htm that is one place but no help. Few months ago was an issue of Nuts and Volts that had a project. I have that issue but finding it is a problem right now.  Mike
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 09:46:44 PM »
howdy all just found this site   but also on the zone     one thought on this because i wind pickups also   is on the movement   if it works to where it starts at 0 then just steps the size of the wire to the end of the bobbin then back  to bobbin   theres a prob you will get more capacitance   and thats where the probs come in    for a pick up you need more of a variable movement  i guess what i'm trying to get at is a  random time for movement and random amount of movement on the winder i built it origanally had a cam for the movement and it gave about the same sound each time    to get different sounding pups i had to start guiding the wire by hand which did give me different sound  i guess if there was a  way for the cnc to let you teach the movement would be nice too  as you could  lay different pup styles and save the gcode for it           
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 09:48:37 PM by Strat »
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 09:46:39 AM »
i don't have a cnc winder setup at this time but i do have the things {motors ,drivers )   that i could build another one with  if your game on the code i would be more then happy for testing  and setting up a cnc winder   i guess the big things (for me ) would be bobbin size or fill area  # of turns   and the ability to "learn" the movement  or the option of random movement
another thing that would be nice is if i could enter the wire varibles  ohms per foot  wire size  and enter the amount of resistance i would like to wind and have it calculate the  # of turns  theres a guy on another site i hang on that wrote a calc/counter program but to be able to do it in cnc would be really really nice
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »
well heres the basic idea i will use for the machine will be gone for the next few days i have family going in for surgery but once thru the worst of it and back home i will get this built     the only other thing i need to add is a tensioner for the wire  so once back i will update     one thing that willl be real nice is controlling the speed of the wind with the puter : )   thanks much guys
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »
Might want to think about this in the context of scale.  As an example, think of someone who wraps fishing rod guides with thread as opposed to someone wraping large electrical cables or firehose on a capstan.

Just a thought.  The more flexible the better.

Regards,
Jeff

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »
just stopin in  before i roll out but looks good so far benny   as far as the random step   maybe a time(# of turns)  or distance variable input to build  the randomness off or acess to both   set a base and then it builds the randomness on it   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 02:13:03 PM by Strat »
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
anyone who is interested this program is for calcin a guitar pick up    you enter the width   the core depth the core width and the wire guage your using and it will calc the # of turns and resistance to expect also has a counter in it  that you wire to your serial  port
http://pickups.myonlinesite.com/programs.php   (oops forgot to put the addy in )
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 12:44:19 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'( Oh nooooooo. Brian do you know what you're creating here? ;D

Go for it Benny. As sharp as you are on screen it only makes sense for you to know how to wizard!

Mike

Thanks Strat, I went and downloaded it. Not that pickups are my thing.
Please dont think this thread has halted. You will be horified to know that Brian has privately suggested that he wants me to do the programming with him as my tutor. I guess I will be starting soon. :(