Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:42 PM

Author Topic: Just purchased a laser line pointer  (Read 28486 times)

Just purchased a laser line pointer
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
I got it from ebay and it looked small and compact.   Other folks on a laser scanner forum recommended this product. 
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130
I'm looking forward to doing some scanning.   I do have a laser level, but its just to big and the line width seems to wide for accuracy. 
Dave

---------------------------------
AixiZ thanks you for your business and support. We show you as the purchaser
of the following:

Item title: 650nm 5mW laser module 3.2VDC line generator 650 nm OEM
Web address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110133882634
Item number: 110133882634
Buyer User ID: ....
Seller User ID: aixiz_lasers

Your total is:
$8.00 per item
$0.00 insurance (not offered)
$0.00 Sales discounts (-) or charges (+)
$3.50 shipping/handling

-----
$11.50 = Total
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:47:25 AM by DavidCousins »
Re: Just purchased a laser line pointer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »
What are you using for a power supply?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:46:43 AM »
I also purchased from the same guy a 3.2 volt wall wart.   I could have used a single LIPO 123 battery, but I took the easy way and bought the wall wart. 
Gosh, I have so many wall warts in my basement, I could've probably found one instead of buying it, but it just so happens that I did a search for wall warts last weekend on another EE project and I don't remember running across a 3.2 volt supply.  So I pulled the trigger on this purchase too.   

Dave

=========
AixiZ thanks you for your business and support. We show you as the purchaser
of the following:

Item title: Power supply 110-240VAC 3.2VDC 500mA with clips
Web address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110136388801
Item number: 110136388801
Buyer User ID: .....
Seller User ID: aixiz_lasers

Your total is:
$9.95 per item
$0.00 insurance (not offered)
$0.00 Sales discounts (-) or charges (+)
$3.50 shipping/handling

-----
$13.45 = Total
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:00:51 AM »
Thanks David.  I've been wanting to do some 3D scanning ever since I saw the Nextengine scanner but didn't want to put out that kind of money just to start playing around.  Saw the David set up and bought a Micro$oft Life Cam VX 6000, it may be over-kill and may not work at all, BUT I could not find a good laser pointer and this may just be the thing to get.  The price is good.

I'll get this set up and then look for software.  (OUCH!!!) That's where you really get killed.  Any ideas?  I bought MACH3 so I've got that piece in place.  I've got a new CNC machine in the build and a PC ready to be connected up.  Would be fun to play with until the machine is finished.  Next, we'll need a way to stitch the scans together for full 3D milling.  ART????  are you listening?  :D

Just downloaded Art's new plug in.  This is going to be fun!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »
What's the difference between the 650 nm and the 635 nm line generators?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:25:55 AM »
I believe the difference is color.

http://www.dialight.com/pdf/SolidStateLighting/MDEXLUMCLENGC_C-W.pdf

look on the second page for color distinctions.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »
How do L.E.D.s and Laser compare?  I'm lost now.  :)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »
I already said more then I should.  Here's what I'm guessing to be your answer. 

You will use a laser because it shines brighter and can be focused in a line.  Any focused light source can be used, but the little lasers line projectors have the best focusing.

The 650 nm is the color's wave length in Nanometers.   Each color has a different frequency (different number).  Any color would work, but I'm using the red because it's there.   

I'll let some smarter guys chime in and correct us both. 

Here's a question for Art:   For a red laser, what are the recommended settings set in your software.   Contrast? Hue? Brightness?    What is your recommended color for this project? 
Dave
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 01:26:24 PM »
I already said more then I should.  Here's what I'm guessing to be your answer. 

You will use a laser because it shines brighter and can be focused in a line.  Any focused light source can be used, but the little lasers line projectors have the best focusing.

The 650 nm is the color's wave length in Nanometers.   Each color has a different frequency (different number).  Any color would work, but I'm using the red because it's there.   

I'll let some smarter guys chime in and correct us both. 

Here's a question for Art:   For a red laser, what are the recommended settings set in your software.   Contrast? Hue? Brightness?    What is your recommended color for this project? 
Dave

Dave,

As far as I'm concerned anything given in information is GREAT and if it's not right I'm sure someone will chime in.  :)  What you said makes sense to me.  So go on and give your view.

I'll be ordering today and see if I can get to play with it next week-end.  How has yours worked out?

Thanks,
Greg
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 01:27:26 PM »