Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:56:21 AM

Author Topic: Does Mach3 work with the new Seig KC6 CNC lathe?  (Read 16142 times)

Does Mach3 work with the new Seig KC6 CNC lathe?
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Just wondering if Mach3 will work with this new lathe?  does anybody even know if this new cnc lathe is available yet in the USA?

here is some info on it:
http://www.siegind.com/cnc_machine.pdf

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Re: Does Mach3 work with the new Seig KC6 CNC lathe?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:39:17 PM »
Well, on page two of the PDF link it shows a Mach screenshot for the PC controlled version, so my bet would be that it does work with it
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »
yeah but it only shows Mach3 on the mills, not the lathe..
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
From that brochure, it looks to me like the lathe has a Siemens control and I'd guess it does not run Mach.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 01:28:57 PM »
does anybody know if the creater of Mach3 software is going to try and get his software to work with this new lathe from Sieg?  I wonder who would make the cnc controller?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 10:02:31 PM »
In the PDF i says the lathe uses stepper motors so that means that Mach will run it.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »
ah so mach won't work with servos?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:47:34 AM »
Of course Mach3 works with servos. The newer digital drives will hook to the mach3 directly. For analog servo drives you'll need something like Pixie to convert Step/Dir signals to analog signals.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »
I'm not sure if Mach3 is/will be offered with the lathe, but I'm currently using and testing it on the KX3 mill.  I'm brand new to CNC, so I've got a lot to learn, but I have the mill working and have done some basic GCODE programming. I'm in the process of writing a product review that will be published on my web site, www.mini-lathe.com, in the next week or so.

As far as I know from talking with the manager of the Sieg plant, no US distributors have been established to date for the CNC products. Sieg is actively working on lining up distributors, so I would expect that one or more will be in place by spring 2008, if not sooner.

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 05:51:19 AM »
does anybody know if the creater of Mach3 software is going to try and get his software to work with this new lathe from Sieg?  I wonder who would make the cnc controller?

Mach 3 IS the CNC controller.

What you mean is who is making the driver box ? In this case as it has a siemens controller it's probably propriatry but the driver box is only a 2 axis version of the same box that goes into say a KX3 mill.

You have asked this same question all over the web and all it takes is a power supply, two drivers, a breakoit board and a liitle work to do this.

The machine is not special in any way, many have converted lathes. You need to be asking Sieg IF they intend to sell this as a Mach3 machine and what their proposed dealer network will be.

Second choice is to buy a bare one and convert it yourself as some are already doing ?

John S.