Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:45:02 AM

Author Topic: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit  (Read 80390 times)

Re: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 03:10:12 PM »
I sure hope the new plan is the final plan...since I already purchased the galil contol.  I had already purchased the 500 line non indexed encoders from US Digital and dropped them along with my motors and motor mount parts off at a machine shop to have the mounting plates modified to mount the encoders but the 1000 line indexed encoders are externally, physically identical so I'll be able to swap them.

Hopefully the admins don't take a dissliking to me.  After not getting any response to my queries on plugin status in any of the applicable threads (I posted in all of them) I emailed and posted the suggestion that they update the status info and make it a policy to keep it updated.

So anyway...now I'll be using a galil control and am charging ahead with the project.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »
I've received my galil 2160 control and the weg variable speed drive for the 3 phase spindle today.  I returned the 500 line encoders without indexes and ordered the 1000 line encoders with indexes having been able to machine the motor mount plates to fit the new encoders in place of the resolvers since externally the 500 and 1000 line encoders are identical.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 03:06:32 PM »
Does anybody know what pull studs these use?  There's a tool holder in the spindle now so when I get it out I'll be able to measure the pull stud on it but if anybody knows I'd appreciate the info.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 09:53:12 PM »
hmmm nmtb 40 tool holders don't use pull studs?  The drawbar screws into the tool holder?  It's just a guess at this point but from what I can find of pictures of power drawbars I'm thinking the unit on this mill is a kurt 101-02.  The parts look a lot like kurt parts and the kurt 101-02 parts list says it uses an electric impact wrench as the motor which is what the unit on this machine has.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
The amp-19540 and cables hav been ordered.
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »
the US digial  h5md-1000-I differential 1000 cpr with index encoders and cables have come.  Everything has a very high quality feel about it.
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »
Hello, I've been following along.....wish I had something to offer in the way of help or advice.
I Googled some of your components out of curiosity to get an idea of what is generally involved in a retro.
I may tackle one myself one day.
Some of these parts are right pricey. But you should end up with a real nice machine.
Keep it up,
RC
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 07:08:31 PM »
Thanks,

Yes, going the Galil stand alone control with amplifiers route over the "smart drives" with all control functions handled by the pc route certainly added to the cost of the retrofit.  On the other hand the cost is at least a little bit offset by not having to buy a pc to dedicate to controling the mill.  More important to me, I don't have to install a pc and monitor to the mill.  In my particular case that is a big plus.  If you look at the pictures of the mill you can see why.  The thing has a 60" table not counting the servo on the end.  Acounting for the table needing the clearance to slide all the way one way and then all the way the other way the thing takes up an entire wall length of space.  I can't give up an entire wall of space.  Since the machine is also quite deep, however, I can put large work benches on the wall behind and to the sides of it.  Getting rid of that big contol box and not replacing it with something just as big to accomodate a pc and monitor will make that right hand work bench much more comfortable to use.

Hello, I've been following along.....wish I had something to offer in the way of help or advice.
I Googled some of your components out of curiosity to get an idea of what is generally involved in a retro.
I may tackle one myself one day.
Some of these parts are right pricey. But you should end up with a real nice machine.
Keep it up,
RC
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:10:04 PM by usfwalden »
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »
I'm where the machine is now and starting the actual retrofit.  I've been going back and forth between schematics and spindle wizard engineering diagrams and the actual machine and have developed a much better understanding of what exactly I've got here.  As I understand it now the machine casting and spindle drive are Ex-Cell-O's standard 602 contribution.  From there the knee, huge tubular ways, ballscrews,  and "Position Wizard" super upgrade table which give it the huge and acurate travels that attracted me to the machine are Spindle Wizard upgrades.  Spindle Wizard also put on the quil motion, power draw bar, coolant, and their own control for things like gear changes, spindle speed, tool changing, and coolant.  One of the buttons on the 11 button front panel is an auto/manual button.  With that button set to manual the other buttons can be used to control all those functions.  With it set to auto the spindle wizard control takes commands from a cnc control (originally a bandit) to control those functions.

The way this Spindle Wizard control is set up a custom "M card" in the Bandit control would send m codes to Spindle Wizard control.  The Spindle Wizard control has its own power supply supplying 5 volts for the ttl logic and 24 volts for the signals to operate relays, a 'logic board" that translates the binary input of the m code into a single pin output to the "power board," a "power board" that amplifies and distributes those signals to the designated relay or solenoid, and a "jog board" that supplies the signal voltage to shift between high and low gears and the spindle jog timing to engage the gears after they have shifted.

The Spindle Wizard  power supply, logic board, and power board housed in a cabinet on the right side of the machine.  I have the chasis with holds the power supply and is the card rack unscrewed here but you don't actually have to unscrew it to pull the cards out.  Each wire from the harnesses plugs individually into securely mounted card edge plugs at the bottom of the card file. 

The logic card pulled out of the card file

Fortunately I have the logic diagram for the logic card.  Looking at this, it looks like I can easily interface with the control the same way the bandit did through the same wires the bandit did.  It's using 4 wires  ( card edge pins L, M , K, 19 ) as binary input of the decimals 0 through 9 and 3 wires ( card edge pins P=10, R=40, S=20 )  for the decimals 10, 20, and 40.  That's only 7 wires I need to hook up to the Galil control outputs to be able to send the m codes to the Spindle Wizard control.  Then card edge pin Y is the input for emergency stop.  That's 7 I/O pins.  Since I have a 6 axis model Galil I have 16 uncommitted I/O pins.

The power card

The relay box.  The jog car is in the box behind all the relays.
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »
I found a few of the auxilliary actuators on the microswitches on the spindle (limit and home switches) were bent and broken.  I suspect both by me and someone previously taking the front panel off of the mill.  The nice thing is that since they are auxilliary actuators, as in not part of the microswitches themselves, and since they are actual micro switch brand micro switches the auxilliary actuators (JE-5) are still available.  I put them on order along with a 20 amp tyco line filter to install with the  vfd.

On that note, I was also able to order a replacement for the broken air pressure regulator that's been stopping me from putting air to machine to get the backgear, spindle brake, power draw bar, and mist coolant working.  The exact Watts Fluidair part number (163-2) isn't around still but it looks like their current model ( r364-02c) is a direct replacement.

I mounted the new US digital encoders in place of the no longer wanted resolvers.  They aren't mounted in exactly the same place since they aren't exactly the shame shape and size but I was able to fit them in there anyway.  I had the pulley bored out to fit the 1/4" shaft and the mounting plate drilled and tapped for the encoder mounting screws.  I retained the tachometers just because they hold the other pulley allowing me to keep the same belt routing.  The encoder blocks off where a pole used to be in the center of the electrical box to screw into to retain the electrical box cover so I had 4 holes drilled and tapped into the cormers of the elctrical box area so I can replace the one pole in the middle with one in each corner.  The pocket in the second motor mount plate which sandwiches with this one and covers the pulleys and belt needs to be milled out for a little more clearance around the encoder pulley.