Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:11:59 AM

Author Topic: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit  (Read 80392 times)

Re: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »
Are the servos direct driving the screws?  I don't think the Geckos will push those motors fast enough to your liking you need some bigger drives like the Vipers from Larken Automation.

Are you using the g100 mostly for extra inputs?  I think of these will be much better: http://cubloc.com/product/01_01.php
very easy to use through serial ModBus in Mach3.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:45 AM »
The motors for the x and y axiis are directly coupled to the ballscrews.  The motor for the spindle z axis belt drives the spindle ballscrew--the pulleys are still 1:1.  The ballscrews are 5 tpi.  The motors are 110v 5.9A 1800 rpm.  The power supply in the bandit that the mill originally came with is only 60V though.  So ya, I suppose if I changed the power supply too I could close to double my max feed rate.  I'm just thinking there must have been a reason spindle wizzard matched the 60v power supply with the motors in first place.  Opinions anyone?

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:20:38 AM »
On the note of the g100, I was just doing some poking around and found the latest install guide here on the forum and it says probing isn't working as of sept 2007--has that changed?  Is that going to change soon?  I definitely do want to get a contact probe.

I also want to run on a laptop over a usb cable without any worries of timing difficulties
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
I think the only reason they put 60v if it is actually 60v is to keep the feed speed controllable,  by my estimate at 60v the motors will give you ~190ipm rapid. 
It this case you will need a higher count encoders at least 1000 cpr.  Because the 500 cpr will give you .0004 between counts.

Have you read this thread about the g100:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,5506.0.html

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Because they are quadrature encoders 500 cpr gives me a .0001 resolution, right? 
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »
well I see the plugin for the g100 is a beta and that link shared above would indicate that there may be firmware changes need to get it fully functional with mach and gecko isn't going to make them...I guess I should assume the g100 and mach won't be fully functioning together any time soon?

I see the plugin for the ncpod is a full release but I can't find the ncpod for sale anywhere except as a beta still at oemtech.  Is that correct?  Was the timing error ever fixed?  Is it fully functional now or not?

I'm going to guess not many are going to wander into my thread but I'm posting my questions here anyway because this is what I'm going through to get the mill up and running and I'm just not finding the answers in my searches.
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 03:34:23 PM »
Hello usfwalden,
Man....You're doin' a bunch of "Showin' n' Tellin'....and I'm "Watchin' n' Listenin'.
That is a nice project you have there. I wish I knew enough about it to help you out.

I wish you good luck with it and hope you find the help that you need.
I'll be keeping an eye out and if I find anything I'll respond.
RC
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »
Thanks,

Ya i wish i were hearing more feed back (particularly on the plugin situation) but oh well.  I've also started considering using a galil controler and drives through ethernet.  It occurs to me that will end up working out much better for the 4th axis.  With a large rotary table I think I'm going to need a much higher count encoder to get any resolution on high diameter parts and an index in order to home it.  Of course the galil plugin is listed as prototype.......

I'll post in the galil plugin development thread.  So far no response in the g100 or ncpod plugin threads but then it's only been a day.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »
Thanks,  that really doesn't look encouraging.   What do you think of the ncpod over usb with the gecko drives vs a galil over ethernet with galil drives?

I think the only reason they put 60v if it is actually 60v is to keep the feed speed controllable, by my estimate at 60v the motors will give you ~190ipm rapid.
It this case you will need a higher count encoders at least 1000 cpr. Because the 500 cpr will give you .0004 between counts.

Have you read this thread about the g100:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,5506.0.html

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:55:54 AM by usfwalden »
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »
Ok.....

Here's the new, new plan:

Galil DMC-2160 stand alone control which i purchased used connected to mach on my laptop over ethernet
Galil AMP-19540 amp which I am purchasing new from galil
using my 60v power supply from the bandit that I'm scrapping
H5MD-1000I  1000 line encoders with indexes from US Digital on my xyz axiis--I'll figure out the 4th axis motor and encoder after I am running