Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:52:31 AM

Author Topic: Help a noob to wire up Mach3 USB board  (Read 15081 times)

Help a noob to wire up Mach3 USB board
« on: October 10, 2018, 03:56:09 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm a complete noob to Mach3, although I have extensive experience in CNC/robotics. I need help in setting up my USB Mach3 board to work with my stepper motors.
Now I'm not talking about the parallel port breakout board since my laptop doesn't have a parallel port. I'm talking about boards like this

https://robokits.co.in/automation-control-cnc/controller/usb-cnc-controller-mach3-4-axis-100khz-interface-board-mk1

The documentation provided is extremely limited so I am having trouble wiring and operating the software. I got this far (see image attached )

XP and XD ( pins 2 & 3? ) are connected to stepper driver's CLK+ and CW+. EN+, EN-, CLK-, CW- are all connected to ground through a terminal block.

This ought to send step signals when I give CNC codes, but it doesn't do anything at all.

I read somewhere that I ought to wire up the left side with 12V connected to 10V and Gnd to that Gnd. Why would the Mach3 board need external power supply? It doesn't run the motors, all it does is send step and direction signals. I'm also mystified as to why 12V should be connected to 10V.

The other problem is that my Mach3 software doesn't seem to be able to process G-Codes.
It loads up fine, even detects my board, but when I click 'cycle start' it just goes to the first instruction and sits there. Sometimes it has trouble generating toolpath too.
I have set the pins for X axis to 2 and 3 in the configuration.

Thanks for you help!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Help a noob to wire up Mach3 USB board
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:27:12 AM »
Your board needs a 12 / 24Volt supply to function.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:20:32 AM »
So, where should I connect it? On the 10V/Gnd terminals on the right side or somwhere else?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 05:45:12 AM »
The 12/24 Volt supply connects to the 24V and ACM/DCM (as appropriate) terminals.

I think you would be wise to contact the supplier of your board to obtain the full manual / instructions etc. before proceeding.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:17:11 AM »
Okay!

I connected the power supply to 24V and DCM. The board is now active, and holding torque is being provided to the stepper motor.

But in the software, I cannot get the motor to move, still. When I click cycle start, it does nothing. Sometimes when I click reset, it says RnR control board not found!

Pin configuration is given in image. Is there any other config I need to do?

Here's the sample g-code, it's really simple.

G00 G90 G94 G40 G54 G80
T1 M06
M07

G01 X30 F200
G01 X10 F200

M09
M05
M02

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »
As I have already mentioned you should contact the suppliers of your board for the complete manual and set-up instructions.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 06:40:06 AM »
Their knowledge is not that much honestly.. that's why I'm posting here  :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »
Their knowledge is not that much honestly.. that's why I'm posting here  :)

That pretty much explains it all.

In my view, if a manufacturers / suppliers fails to fully support their product then that is tantamount to an admission that their product is total crap and probably will never ever perform as intended.

There are a number of reputable manufacturer’s of Motion Controllers that do fully support their products and that is perhaps your direction forward.
I use both a Warp9 ESS and a Pokeys 57CNC – both have excellent customer support and excellent documentation - perhaps check out their websites.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »
Success!

I managed to get it to work by following instructions on this site
https://buildyourcnc.com/Item/electronicsAndMotors-electronic-component-breakout-Mach3-USB-Board

Even though I didn't buy it from them and my board looks a little different from theirs.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
Excellent  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE