Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM

Author Topic: Motor Driver issue  (Read 2150 times)

Motor Driver issue
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »
I have a PCI port mach3. Whenever i run the code, first of all none of the motors run. Secondly I notice that the pulse pin and Dir pin on the motor driver appear to be shorted(continuous).
To verify i even tried to run the circuit with an arduino. When i upload the code now, still the pulse and dir pins appear continuous. However when i remove the connections and then try to test it, they are no longer continuous.
Pretty sure there is something really basic that i am missing out. Can you please help out.

P.S. attached figure shows connections followed

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Driver issue
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:14:10 AM »
Just a suggestion...

Remove the Enable wires completely. At this stage they are not necessary.

Check in your Mach3 Motor Outputs that you have the X axis Enabled and the correct Port and Pin numbers set. Also Step Low Active set.

Also check in Port Setup that you have the Port Enabled and the correct Port Address set ( the port address for your PCI card can be found in Win. Device Manager).

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:16:10 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:38:03 AM »
Have tried all that. I think there is probably an issue with the ports and pin nos that I am selecting. Do you know what the correct port and pin nos might be for this board.

Also regarding the dir and pul pins being continuous. Is that supposed to be, or is it just something going wrong inside the motor driver

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 02:59:05 AM »
There will be no direct 'short' between the Pul- and Dir- connections on the driver.
However, the internal opt-isolators may incorporate pull-up/down resistors so the measured resistance may depend on your measuring device.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 06:23:51 AM »
So what could be the possible reason for me getting a direct short between the Pul- and Dir- pins upon powering up the motor driver.

P.S.
as mentioned before, when the power is disconnected, the 'short' is no longer there.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 06:30:50 AM »
How exactly are you measuring this 'short' ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 10:35:50 PM »
Hi Fusco96,
I'm confused.....in another thread you had going here a few weeks ago you were trying to run a RnR USB controller....
what happened to it?

Now you have a parallel port board according to the picture.

What PC and what OS are you using?
What does DriverTest.exe tell you about the operating condition of Machs parallel port driver?
If these matters are not 100% then you might end up with pins 'shorted' as you claim.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 03:10:31 AM »
@Tweakie: Measuring it the old fashioned way using continuous mode on dmm.

@joe: yeah we had a PCI board. were trying to get our system running with the usb board. No output using USB->switch back to PCI. Using a really generic PC with xp installed on it. Have not checked DriverTest.exe. will do
But the question arises if it was a misconfiguration on the port and pin nos, why would i experience it on the arduino as well?

Thank You

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 03:56:56 AM »
@Tweakie: Measuring it the old fashioned way using continuous mode on dmm.

That is what I expected. Unfortunately, you will not get meaningful readings when using a dmm set to continuity on circuits that are powered-up.
I suppose the bottom line is that if you suspect there is a problem with the driver then replace it with another.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 01:05:04 AM »
Can you please tell me why do we not get meaningful readings when using continuous mode on a powered up circuit?