Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:24:56 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 profile set to MM but current position in Inches?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Waz

•  4 4
    • View Profile
Mach4 profile set to MM but current position in Inches?
« on: September 29, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »
Hi newbe here.

Could someone please tell me why when I have my machine set up units and control units set to MM in the general config. I have the current positions reading in Inches?? I have made changes and restarted but does not change?
Re: Mach4 profile set to MM but current position in Inches?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:52:02 PM »
Hi,
not sure I can help directly but may be able to narrow it down a bit.

You say the you have changed the units in the General Configuation Page to  metric....in both places?

When you start Mach4 you will see the units labels in the DRO's, per the attachec pic.
If you open the Screen Editor and click on a DRO and look at the properties you find both the units and the labels for those units.
Can you confirm they are correct?

The last item is that Mach can use either metric or inch units to do a job. When you set Mach up you chose your setup or native
units, like you I chose metric. You use those units to tune your motors and set limits/soft limits etc.

When you do a Gcode job however you can chose either by issuing a G20 or a G21. Thus if you were given some Gcode in inch units
MDI G21 THEN run the code. If you then want to run one of your own jobs MDI G21 to switch it back into metric.

Try these ideas out and let us know how you get on.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Waz

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:56:48 AM »
Thanks Craig for the reply, Yes can confirm that units are set to metric in both places.  And the DRO say's MM but still measuring Inches.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 01:33:42 AM »
Hi,

And the DRO say's MM but still measuring Inches
What evidence do you have that leads you to this conclusion?

Craig

Offline Waz

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:08:19 AM »
Youll have to forgive me Craig i am very new to Mach4- hobby. Im still trying to get my head around it. I can't even find the DRO properties slider. It appears as if everything is still in Inches soft limits, motor steps, current positions etc etc.. current position says its in mm but is definatly reading in inches when moving. In Mach3 my motors were set a 200 counts per unit now it is set at 10000 per unit so im presuming inches.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:25:15 AM »
Hi,
I think you are mistaken.

Irrespective of the units you have selected and more importantly what Mach4 regards as the units if you have set you x axis motor to 10,000
then if you issue a MDI command move one unit to the right then Mach and your controller will issue 10,000 pluses.
Your motor will turn and the axis mechanicals will move the axis. It may be that it moves a few mm or maybe a few hundred mm. Of course ideally
given that you are wanting to use mm units then you hope that it will move 1mm. If however your motor tuning is wildly out it may mean that it
moves 25mm, ie close  to an inch. This would mistakenly lead you to believe that the machine is in inches not mm.

We need to confirm your tuning settings.

I understand you are using regular two phase steppers?
What have you set for the microstepping regime on your stepper drives?
What pitch is your ballscrew?
What, if any, is the gear/belt reduction between the stepper and the ballscrew?

Craig

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:14 AM »
Just penny’s worth

Did you set the native units before you did the motor cal/setting

You need to do it in that order

Did you do the calculations as set out in the user manual for metric

Caveat emptor   From my experience when I change any motor setting apply the ok I always shut down mach4 and restart , it did a funny once so I make sure

Offline Waz

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 03:08:47 AM »
Thankyou Craig for taking the time to help, by setting my set motor units to 200 where I had them in Mach3 it has resolved my problem.