Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:59:29 PM

Author Topic: converting from lpt to usb  (Read 8984 times)

converting from lpt to usb
« on: September 17, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
I searched the forum data base with no result, but apologizes if this topic has appeared before.

I have owned and run a small cnc for some time now using a lap-top (win7) and the LPT port for machine control, this lap top is too old to have a usb port. I have tuned the motors and set the pins and ports on the  machine which has worked well in the past, but PC problems have led me to buy a USB controller which begs a couple of simple questions.

When I build a system on a replacement PC I was thinking about transferring the Mach3 config file to save me the tuning and calibration process, now because I have to set the interface to USB (and not as it was LPT) how much of the old config file will be effective in the new config?

I realize all the extra things I can have with USB which a single LPT port could not facilitate will need to be configured, but my main concern is the motor tuning and machine calibration being carried across?

Has anyone gone through this process of converting a working and calibrated machine from LPT to USB.

Thanks for any advice
regards
Joe
Re: converting from lpt to usb
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »
Hi,
your USB controller will have a plugin which has to be configured.

It should not be difficult to copy your profile onto a different PC which would include all your old
parallel port settings but you will have make some new ones for the USB controller.

What controller did you buy?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »
Hi,
when I did this I changed from Mach3 to Mach4 and from parallel port to an Ethernet SmoothStepper.
I just made a new profile from scratch.

Craig
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:57:06 PM »
Hi Craig
I bought a dedicated usb board back in 2016 but did nothing with it until now. My laptop was an ex military one built into an alloy case and had all of its I/O bits removed apart from the line printer port, I think this is done to prevent software addition and removal. To answer your question, the package I received is simply names "XC-1 but does not have any manufacturers
name, in fact most of the enclosed data sheet is in Chinese.

I will try to post a picture of it
Joe

Attached a doc file
Thanks for the info
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:51 PM »
Hi,
well you'll need the manufacturers plugin at the very least.

Quite frankly your on a 'hiding to nowhere' with a Chinese board and no information.

It seems to me you have two choices:
1) Buy another PC with a parallel port or at least a PCI slot to put one.
2) Buy a decent (US or European) external motion controller. The Ethernet SmoothStepper (Wapr9 TD)
and the UC300 (CNCDrive) are two worthy examples. Tons of info, the manufacturers maintain a forum to back
up their customers and they work as advertised....no bull.

Craig
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:55:05 PM by joeaverage »
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
Hi Craig
thanks for the advice, I do have a plug-in and I will run it up on a breadboard before I build the puka controller. I do not use the cnc much these days but thought I would at least bring it up to date. I will take a look at the controller you mention.
cheers
joe

PS Im in New Zealand so there is possibly a few hours between us
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »
Hi,
I live in Akaroa, the aerial shot is part if my signature, but work in Christchurch.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 01:34:57 AM »
Noted Craig
I live up on Waiheke Island, Auckland region.
joe