Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:18:07 PM

Author Topic: A Robin.  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
A Robin.
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
This little fella spent many days building a nest in my post-box only to have it destroyed by a fox (or perhaps a cat). Not deterred he went on to build another nest in my garden shed. The eggs have now hatched and the feeding frenzy has begun. He posed for this photo whilst looking for grubs.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: A Robin.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:56:40 AM »
The adults are having difficulties keeping all the chicks together but this is one of the first out of the nest.

Tweakie.

PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »
Nice tweakie!
What hardware are you using to get those images?
How far away are you?

I'm guessing it would take a mobile crane base in a floated bed of epoxy for the camera mount, a lens about as long as my leg and crazy good camera to get images like that. You being the wizard you are could probably pull it off with a disposable camera with not even a tripod while you hold a pepsi bottle over the lens with one hand for magnification.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 01:32:39 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Brett.

The camera is a Sony DSLR (which is based on the Minolta optics). The advantage being that the old 35mm Minolta film camera lenses are cheaply available and are a perfect fit for the Sony digital.
You won't believe this but the telephoto lens I used is generally referred to as 'the Beer Can'. (both photos taken at approx. 20 feet distance).

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:36:13 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:36:20 AM »
NP, they are awesome pics. Magazine cover material.

I had to google beer can lens. Lots of praise about it on the interwebs. But yeah, I was imagining something a lot bigger. Impressive!

It amazes me how fast the quality of images that can be produced with the same amount of money in equipment has improved over the past 10 years. I really need to splash out on some gear myself. If I ever get to the point that I can get my head around what my 5 MP powershot can do maybe I can graduate.  ;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!