Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:55:39 PM

Author Topic: Inside of the ring engraving  (Read 2047 times)

Inside of the ring engraving
« on: May 16, 2018, 04:52:13 PM »
Hello everyone.
I'm seasoned Mash user but been stuck with creating code for inside of the ring engraving on 4 axis machine. Outside is not a problem but inside of ring or in fact any concave part ( only a section of 60 degree of the ring is engraved) on 4 axis proof to be difficult. I routinely use RhinoCam with pretty solid cam package up to 5 axis tool path generation is a breeze but not the inside engraving. May someone have an elegant solution how??
Many thanks in advance
Ilia
Re: Inside of the ring engraving
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
How does the spindle reach inside? Does it fit in the bore or do you have it angled and use a ball shaped end mill?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:37:57 AM »
No need for rotating tools to go inside the ring just simple spring loaded diamond tipped drag. Technically I have no problem but how to code this task, I'm pretty sure there's some easy way of wrapping linear text code inside this ring on 4Th  axis. For example On Haas controller G47/G107 text or any profile can be wrapped at angle if needed on rotating axis.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
I have seen it done with the indexer on its back and the tool has a side mount diamond the text is drawn in the XZ plane and wrapped to the cylinder z up and down indexer rotates.

Without engineers the world stops