Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:15:00 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 not controlling motors  (Read 7033 times)

Mach3 not controlling motors
« on: May 14, 2018, 04:31:00 PM »
Hi List
I'm running Mach 3 with Windows 7. I had to do a clean install of Win7 and since I did the DRO is jogging but not the motors. That reassuring click I used to hear when PC connected to the motors is no longer there. The two are not communicating. It feels like its a driver issue but I have the drivers installed as they were before. I'm using Smooth Stepper driver. Can someone tell me exactly where they should be just in case. Any help would be appreciated hugely.
Re: Mach3 not controlling motors
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »
Hi,
is your Windows OS 32 bit or 64 bit?

What is the version number of the SmoothStepper plugin? Should be in the plugins folder.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23:19 AM »
Hi Craig
Thanks for getting back. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and SmoothStepperUSBDriver2.08.02. Theres also a .m3p file called SmoothStepper_v17d

Eoin
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 03:44:31 AM »
Hi,
well those files sound about right.

Have you installed the Windows driver per Warp9's instruction?
Have you selected the Mach3 USS plugin as your active  motion plugin?

Craig
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 03:46:20 AM »
I'm afraid I don't know what you are saying. I'm not great on PC's
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 04:07:46 AM »
Hi.
I have not used a USS, I have an ESS. The ESS does not need a driver, the PC provides a driver for its Ethernet port but it does require a specialized driver for a USS.
Ergo the Windows USS driver. It needs to be downloaded, extracted and run/installed on your PC in order for the USS to communicate with the PC. You must go to
the Warp9 website and follow the instructions for installing the Windows USB driver.

In addition you need a plugin, its a program provided by Warp9 for their device, it is a go between the Mach3 application and the USS. It will need to be installed
in Mach3's plugin folder and then when Mach starts be selected as the active motion control plugin.

Start Mach go to Functions Cfgs\Reset Device Sel....  You will have to close Mach and then re-start. Mach should ask you which motion control plugin you wish to use,
select the one for the USS. You can dismiss the window and commonly you would check the box not to offer it again, once you've set the motion control plugin you don't
need to set it at each Mach start.

Craig
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:10:55 AM »
OK Craig. I'll try that. Thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:28:39 AM »
I downloaded the Smooth Stepper driver as instructed on the Warp site. However when I double click to have it install itself it just asks me what programme I want to use to open it. It doesn't self install. Also when I go to Function Config to choose a motion controller as instructed and click re-set device I get the legal jargon window up. Not really what I need.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:30:13 AM by eoinie »
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 04:32:27 AM »
Hi,
yes its a zip archive file. You'll need a program to unzip it, something like WinZip.

It will extract the two files, the driver and the plugin. THEN you can run the driver.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 04:34:52 AM »
Hi,
I downloaded WinRAR as a trial:

https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0

Craig