Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:43:31 PM

Author Topic: Licenced (???) copy of Mach3 supplied with new Pacific Tooling machine.  (Read 2807 times)

I have just bought a new cnc router from Pacific Tooling (via Roger Webb). In my initial enquiries, I asked Roger if the Mach3 software would be registered and would I, therefore, be able to obtain support from Artsoft. His reply was "We do not supply the software, we supply the external motion control card fitted into the CNC machine. MACH3 support is direct from them or us"

I should point out that I have an existing, registered copy of Mach3 but I was hoping that with a brand new machine, I might get a more up to date version of the software.

Well, it turns out that he does supply a USB drive with various files and a copy of Mach3. Unfortunately, it's an older version than mine.  :(  It also comes with a licence file that needs to be copied in to the Mach3 folder and which licences the software to “MaoA~A↑ -Dtonar” rather than to me.

So, I thought, I'll just use my more recent, registered version. After calling Roger to ascertain the correct settings for the new machine, he tells me that no, I have to use the supplied version of Mach3 as it is already set up specifically for my machine and ready to "plug and play". I suppose I can copy all of the settings over to my newer, registered version of Mach3 but I’m worried that I’ll miss something and cause a problem. I’m also thinking that it’s not worth the trouble if the difference between the two versions is minimal.

I have two questions......

Will Artsoft recognise me as the registered owner for support purposes?

And has anyone else on this forum bought a router from Roger Webb/Pacific Tooling? I would very much like to contact anyone with a Pacific Tooling router (in particular the PT6012) to share info, the experience and mutual support.
Hi,

It also comes with a licence file that needs to be copied in to the Mach3 folder and which licences the software to “MaoA~A↑ -Dtonar” rather than to me.
That is a pirate copy and an old one at that. Pirate Mach3 is often buggy and is not recommended. That the vendor
has tailored his package around a pirate copy is very unfortunate and leaves you with a difficult decision.

If you have a legit pre existing licence I am not aware that anything would prevent you from substituting your licence
file for the pirate one. I think a fresh copy of Mach is in order but that may make setting up your controller difficult.
Does the controller come with good documentation which would allow you to make your own profile.
Can you post it?

All Mach3 development ceased five years ago. The last published version is .066 although some experienced Mach3 users
reckon its buggy and they prefer .062. I've had no trouble with .066. About 18 months ago I upgraded to Mach4
and so I've lost a little interest in Mach3.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
The  “MaoA~A↑ -Dtonar”  is indeed a Pirate License and should not be used.

There have been other reported cases of Roger Webb supplying this same Pirate License but it has not been established if it was a deliberate act of deception or if it was accidental. (If he told you that you had to use his supplied version of Mach3 then there is a good chance that it was indeed deliberate).

My advice would be to make a secure backup copy of your existing Mach3 folder - delete the Mach3 folder from your C: drive - install Mach3 version .062 - copy your <profile> .xml file from the backup to your new Mach3 install. If you have any special screens or macro's then copy them across as well. Find your original (genuine) Mach3 license (Mach1Lic.dat) and copy that to your new install Mach3 folder.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:17:14 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
The  “MaoA~A↑ -Dtonar”  is indeed a Pirate License and should not be used.
Tweakie.
Thanks Tweakie. I was afraid of that. Yes, it is definitely deliberate. As I said, he provided the software on two separate USB Drives and specifically said a) I had to use the Mach3 software he provided as it was set up for my machine and b) he instructed me to copy the licence file (provided separately on the USB Drive) in to the Mach3 folder.
If he is providing pirated software and Artsoft wish to pursue him, I am willing to help.
Doug
Hi,

It also comes with a licence file that needs to be copied in to the Mach3 folder and which licences the software to “MaoA~A↑ -Dtonar” rather than to me.
That is a pirate copy and an old one at that. Pirate Mach3 is often buggy and is not recommended. That the vendor
has tailored his package around a pirate copy is very unfortunate and leaves you with a difficult decision.

Craig
Hi Craig. Thanks for your response. My registered copy is R3.042.040 so pretty old. No, he did not provide me with any documentation. However, I have taken screenshots of every window in the Config menus that I thought were relevant. Should this be enough to guide me through setting up my licensed copy?
Rgds Doug
Hi Doug,
good luck with that! This guy has done it before and been called on it and is quite happy to carry on.

It looks like a good machine otherwise, I would do as tweakie suggests, get a fresh copy of .062, you already have a licence and carry on.

Over the years there must be thousands of pirate Mach3 copies around, trying to catch them for $175 each is a hiding to nowhere. I rather suspect however that NFS
would be more proactive about ripoff Mach4 copies, it is after all the company flagship and will be its lifeblood in OEM sales.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
All you need to do is make a copy of your .xml file, install the new version of Mach3, and copy your .xml file into the Mach3 folder.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
All you need to do is make a copy of your .xml file, install the new version of Mach3, and copy your .xml file into the Mach3 folder.

Thanks Gerry! That makes things much simpler :-)
 Forgive my ignorance.....do you mean the file called 'MachXML' which is an Application file 124 KB?  :-\

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Forgive my ignorance.....do you mean the file called 'MachXML' which is an Application file 124 KB?  :-\

No.

Your user profile is shown bottom right of the main screen, your Mach3 settings are in a file called <your user profile> .xml

Tweakie.
PEACE