Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:30:05 PM

Author Topic: spindle direction on Pokeys57CNC  (Read 2599 times)

spindle direction on Pokeys57CNC
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »
I'm trying to configure my Nowandforever E-100 VFD to work with the Pokeys57CNC, but I don't see anywhere in the board specs where I can wire the VFD to receive this information. I'm currently using the GND and pin 17 on the galvanically-isolated I/O bus, but pin 14 (labeled spindle error input) doesn't seem to be what I need. The spindle won't run until I give the VFD a closed circuit in terms of spindle direction (i.e., I have to have this in order to control the spindle from Mach4). Am I missing something here? Do I need to use one of the on-board relays to give me Mach4 control over whether the spindle is engaged? If using a relay is necessary, what output pins are associated with the relay? And can I map that relay between the Pokeys57CNC and Mach4?

Help for a newbie is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: spindle direction on Pokeys57CNC
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 04:38:57 AM »
It depends on your VFD - some have ON and direction inputs, some have forward and backward inputs directly.

Make sure that you use output pins on the PoKeys device (not inputs as is spindle error input). We suggest to you the galvanically isolated OC outputs for this. Exact wiring will depend on how you configure the VFD to use its digital inputs.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
NeoTO,

Thanks for the reply, but I was hoping for a bit more help. Can you confirm that there is no native pinout on the Pokeys57CNC that is designed to control spindle direction? If so, then I'll continue working on how to control spindle direction using the optocoupler outputs mapped to Mach4 as specified in the PoKeys57CNC and Mach4 step-by-step guide (pages 18-21).

Ryan

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:57:57 AM »
There is no specific pinout for spindle direction selection as there are different approaches on how spindle manufacturers implement this.

Your VFD has multiple digital inputs that I assume can be configured for this task. I would suggest to study the VFD manual first.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope