Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:07:16 AM

Author Topic: I'm stuck  (Read 4468 times)

Offline RMH

•  12 12
    • View Profile
I'm stuck
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:19:37 PM »
Hi guys,
Let me begin by saying that i'm a super noob when it comes to this stuff. But, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Let me tell ya what i have:
computer-Pentium quad, 3.2ghz, 64 bit, win 7 mini case. No other software is installed other than the OS and Mach 4 (brand new computer).
Design software is Vectric Vcarve.
CNC controller is a XHC MK3-M4 (I didn't know it was buggy until i read some of the posts here).
The CNC machine is a home built 3 axis with 4 bi-polar steppers (1 for x, 2 for y and 1 for z) all dialed in exactly the same because all the lead screws have the same pitch.

Ok, now the problem.....
I followed all the documentation as far setting everything up. The limit switches aren't reading one way or the other for some reason. but, I have been able to get it to move per the G code until it gets to line 6. I went into the settings and i cant find anything that is or isn't being made wrong. But the machine or software wont do anything after line 6.

What am I missing/doing wrong. I don't have much more hair to pull out.
Re: I'm stuck
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »
Hi,
unless I miss my guess  nobody has got that controller to work.

If you want to go insane an get really pissed off then stick with it.
If you don't then buy a decent controller from one of the 'known good' brands.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:15:41 AM »
Hi RMH,
I was wondering how you're getting on, I was pretty blunt in my lost post and hope you haven't been put off as a result. Unfortunately neither will I back
away from the truth.

I was rather hoping you might be able to lean on whomever sold you this thing to either put it right or refund your money.

Hobby CNC is a long learning experience....shame that this experience is part of it.

Craig

Offline RMH

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »
You didn't put me off. Actually, i'd prefer to have the brutal honesty than a lot of hum hoeing.
I've been doing a lot of research trying to find the right controller, I just want to buy the right one this time so i can get this thing rolling.
Any advice on that would be appreciated.
I'm kinda leaning towards the warp 9 ESS. and I can get all of there parts right from there web site.
If there are any others, I'd love some links or brand names.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
Hi,
I use the ESS and am happy with it. All of the devices in the link are good, there are subtle differences between them but they all work well.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,36536.msg250481.html#msg250481

Craig
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »
I am a big fan of the Vital System stuff although I have just purchased a Pokeys57CNC for a new project.

RMH,
Glad to see you are still with us.
I would just make sure that the controller you get does the functions that you need. If you need lathe threading for instance right now, make sure that it is supported right now, not at some future date.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:50:46 AM »
Hi,
Mike is right, there are some specific functions that are done by the motion controller. Many, like homing and probing, are now so commonplace that they
could be regarded as standard and to my knowledge all of the devices by the manufacturers I've listed to do it.

The functions where there is significant variance in the different device offerings is THC, backlash compensation and single point lathe threading.
If you require any or all of those functions you will have to do some careful research, its often not plain what each device is capable of.

One of the more expensive units, the Hicon of Vital Systems is capable of all three, my guess is the extra budget that a higher sales price makes possible
has seen Vital Systems lead the pack when it comes to implementing sophisticated controller level functions.

Warp9's ESS has code to enact all three but as yet none of the functions (backlash compensation, THC or lathe threading) is bug free yet and they have been working
on them for a while. You may get very frustrated if you required THC for instance and bought an ESS in anticipation that THC is just round the corner.

CNCDirve's UC100 and UC300 have a good reputation in Mach3 circles but the UC100 has had a Mach4 plugin for less than a year and the UC300 for only
a few months. It seems unlikely that they will have implemented these functions yet. All the basic stuff they do well. You should email and get genuine clarity
about special functions if such a function is required in your machine.

Craig

Offline RMH

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 02:06:35 AM »
That's awesome you guys. I appreciate all the input. I'll look in those and start doing some home work on them.
If you all don't mind i'd like to post what i'd like to get just to make sure that everything will work good.
This project has a big learning curve to it, and so far i'm enjoying the ride, even the frustrating part.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 08:24:36 AM »
Please post what you get. It is always nice to see what somebody else is doing.
Feel free to ask questions along the way. It can get lonely out in the shop all by yourself!

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline RMH

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »
Well, What do you guys think of this:
https://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-424
Paired up with this to control my freq drive:
https://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-407

This will give me the control and expansion that I was seeking from the XHC controller.
So what do you guys think. Am I missing anything?