Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:47:13 AM

Author Topic: Homing and Tool offsets on Lathe  (Read 1180 times)

Homing and Tool offsets on Lathe
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
Not being a machinist I have a question about homing and tool offsets.  I just started developing my tool table a couple of weeks ago and enjoy being able to swap tools and have confidence that It will continue on where you would expect it.  Whoop whoop!!

My assumption (big mistake) is that since turning is typically done on center and that all tool cutting points have their x axis offset from machine zero to the centerline.  I thought that when I homed/ref'd, that machine zero would be set, and, the XDRO would adjust to reflect the current tool offset in effect.  As an example,  if tool 1 has an offset from home and entry in the tool table of -3.1255 I would have thought that after homing the XDRO would read -6.251.  On my machine the DRO is unaffected.

a.  Was my thought process wrong?
b.  Should I change the ref x button to have a script that refs x and then reads the current offset and sets the xDro to that number?

TIA

RT

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Homing and Tool offsets on Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
Ron Ginger did a nice video on this very subject.  But I can't find it.  :(  But Rob Gaudette also did one.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuZWZHVU0s 

Steve
Re: Homing and Tool offsets on Lathe
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:44:38 AM »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the link. Since the lathe is just about done I will need to learn how to setup the tools. Just got the home switches for the X and the movable one for the Z all set up.
Thanks again for the PMC since it made setting up the control panel switches a breeze!

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.