Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:03:03 AM

Author Topic: Edit X Position (newb, be gentle)  (Read 2938 times)

Edit X Position (newb, be gentle)
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »
I can click the mouse in the 'Z' position display and key in a new Z position.  The 'X' position display doesn't allow me to edit.  I am sure that I am missing something simple.  Please help.

I have the canned 'Lathe' configuration working somewhat on a lathe retrofit.  I am currently running the demo software.  I am in the process of calibrating my counts per inch values for X and Z.   Using the MDI screen I am able to execute G0 commands and move X and Z fairly accurately (old lathe, significant backlash).

Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks,
jh
Re: Edit X Position (newb, be gentle)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
Are you running Mach4 perchance?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »
yes, mach4 demo
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
This bug has been known for over a year and should have been corrected in the last release but wasn't.

You will have to edit the screen (my as well dive in head first in the deep end).  Make sure that you have Mach4 in maximized view, go to Operator->Edit Screen.    the screen will change to a screen editor with manager and properties windows on the left and your screen on the right.  Click on the xDro.  The properties window is in the lower left portion of the screen.  Change the 'Editor' property to 'In Place' by clicking on the right side of 'Editor' and a drop down list will appear.  Again select 'Operator->Edit Screen' and mach will ask you if you want to save the screen, select yes.  You should now be able to edit the dro

HTH

RT
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:05:23 PM »
BTW, you will have much better luck getting answer of you post in the Mach4 general discussion portion of the forum.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
There are a few more of these little foibles as well. Not that I can remember any at the moment but they were easy enough to fix with the screen editor.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
I noticed this as well, assumed it was my lame pc.
Is this the M4 that is for sale ?
Looks like it has never been developed or used very much for this to have been released unnoticed.
And there are more ? ? I thought/assumed it was closer to being finished.
Is anyone here using M4-Lathe with excellent results .... right out of the box ?
Perfect threading ?  With which controller ?
Thanks,
Russ
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
If my daughters had asked that question they would also have said, 'Dad, give me the short answer'.

Short answer, yes, this is the version for sale, I have cut a 27mm 1.5mm internal thread for my spindle on a timing gear that worked the first time with the pmdx411 controller, yes there are a few other bugs.

The long answer.  Very few hobbyists are using Mach4(m4) in the lathe mode therefore very little attention is being paid to it.  NFS can't afford to provide the support to a hobbyist who paid $200 and they have been upfront about the amount of suppport to expect.  There are a couple of NFS people who monitor the forum and chime in when users get stuck and no one can help answer the problem.  I'm sure the industrial version has had more scrutiny. 

Because m4 motion control is now solely the responsibility of the hardware vendor it is unknown which and how  the functions have been implemented and tested.  When I switched to m4 earlier this year I had a uc100 controller and they advertised that they had a m4 plugin.  It turned out they had not tested it on a lathe and it did not work.  I don't know if they have subsequently upgraded their plugin.  The pmdx411 was a direct substitute that meant I didn't have to change any hardware or wiring so I tried that and have been pleased with its performance.  I don't know if any other vendor has implemented threading and tested it on a lathe.

The lathe version version will do most things that the hobbyist wants if they are using it in a traditional manor (run GCode files).  It is designed totally different from Mach3, implementing Fanuc gcode, lua as its scripting language and has a built in screen editor (that has a few annoying but not fatal bugs).  Learning the scripting paradigm and language has a steep learning curve.

Having said that I will not revert to m3.  I'm closing in on retiring and enjoy the challenge.

HTH

RT

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
Thanks RT, much appreciated.
BTW, that DRO has the same quirk in the recent Ind. Demo version as well.

Thanks again,
Russ

ps: I enjoy a challenge as well .... but am sometimes labeled a glutton for punishment. ;D
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »
IIRC Vital systems has threading well on their Hiconn board. Since I just installed one on my lathe we shall soon see. I am planning on making some threaded parts this week.
If I remember to I will right down all the little foibles and post them somewhere so it can come to the forefront.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.