Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:47:50 AM

Author Topic: Switching to a Ethernet SmoothStepper controller.  (Read 3062 times)

Switching to a Ethernet SmoothStepper controller.
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
I am currently running an ox with Mach 4, a g540, and a PDMX 411 controller.  I’ve decided I need to upgrade the 411 to an ESS.  Not having used anything but the 411,  I am unclear what I need, 

Are there ready made cables that connect the ESS to the G540? 
Am I right in assuming that the ESS will offer me more input/output ports than I had with the 411 (4 or 5)? 
Is there anything else that will be needed for a basic installation?
I’ve seen pendants that connected to the computer via a wireless dongle.  Are these a good option, or am I paying for a fancy, but not nessarily better option?

I would greatly appreciate it if responses included links to any suggested options.

Thank you in advance.
Charlie

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:19:31 AM by crchisholm »
Re: Switching to a Ethernet SmoothStepper controller.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »
Though I didn't mention it, I am aware that I will need a cat5/6 from the computer to the ESS
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
When I set up my ESS/Gecko540/Mach4 system last year I purchased a cable from Soigeneris - you need to go from a 26pin header (ESS) to a DB26 (G540).  I don't see the cable on their website, but give them a call (apparently they changed webhosting and are still populating).  The cable they provided had a female DB26, and I also needed a 26 pin gender changer (male-male) since the G540 also has a female DB26.  Could not find a 26pin header to DB26 male anywhere at the time.
https://www.soigeneris.com/

You will have 4 available inputs and 2 outputs on G540.  You will also have 2 full parallel ports worth of pins available on the ESS (it simulates 3 parallel ports!).  So lots of I/O possibilities, depending on how they are configured in the ESS.

As far as MPGs go, check what you get carefully,  most of the inexpensive ones are Mach3 only and do NOT work with Mach4.  I think VistaCNC makes some for Mach4.

Some here are using the ShuttlePro, see the Mach4 Plugins forum here.

I got one of the cheap XHC HB04 mach3 MPGs working with Mach4 using a driver posted by mkullman here:
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,31332.0.html

On my MPG the DROs do not read correctly, but all the movement functions work, and that is all I needed.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
Hi,
BalloonEngineer has it right, you'll need a 26pin IDC to DB25 cable to plugin the G540. That will leave two 26pin IDC sockets on the ESS free.
Each of those sockets has another complete parallel ports worth of IO. You probably don't have to but it is recommended that you plug a regular
breakout board into those sockets rather than risk blowing the ESS by going in direct.

Given that port 1 is usually used for the motor outputs so pin 2-9 are outputs buts ports 2 and 3 those pins can be either inputs OR outputs.
If you use them as inputs as most do the you have pins 2-13 and 15 as inputs in each port, ie 13 in each port....swags of them!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »
Hi,
my understanding is that quite a few pendants don't work with Mach4.
I use a VistaCNC P1A with a Mach4 plugin. It wasn't seamless to install and get going but going great ever since. It does
have a USB cable.

The only thing Chinese I buy is chop suey. Well that's not correct actually but if you buy Chinese electronics and when it s*********ts itself your our of luck.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »
Thank you all very much.  That gives me what I need to start moving forward. 
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
If all you need is a few more io take a look at DL05 from automation direct it works via a serial port and the modbus plugin.
Thanks
Art
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »
Hi,
at $125 the DL05 has a lot to recommend it.

If you require probe inputs then a PLC won't work. A probe input derives much of its functionality from the motion
controller like an ESS but not a PLC.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »
Sorry, I’ll but out
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
Hi menardmfg,
no...your comments and ideas are most welcome. Indeed depending on OPs need you may have saved
him $60...I'm sure he will be interested to consider it!

Craig