Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:08:17 AM

Author Topic: How do I tell Mach 3 what coordinates the machine is at?  (Read 1514 times)

How do I tell Mach 3 what coordinates the machine is at?
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:47:51 AM »
I have a fixture loaded into the mill and I lost power and had to reboot.  Based on where the program ended, I know the machine is at X1,Y2, Z-3.  Typically how I've been solving this is to zero Mach, then issue a command like G0X-1,G0X-2, G0Z3 then zero the machine again.

So this brings two questions to mind:

1.  Is there a way to set the machine's position to X1,Y2,Z-3 without actually moving anything?
2.  Is there a way to have Mach save the last position the machine is at when a program finishes running?

Thanks, JJ
Re: How do I tell Mach 3 what coordinates the machine is at?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
I figured it out.  I am using the standard interface, and all you have to do is click the axis you want to set and type in a number.  Way easier!
Re: How do I tell Mach 3 what coordinates the machine is at?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 02:07:55 PM »
If your machine uses steppers on power up it may jog a tiny bit to line the motors up with an exact physical step. So you are likely to get an error of up to about 1/2 motor full step, whatever distance that is on your machine. It is still very useful to have dials on each axis.  Write down the dial values before running. Then you can get the machine close to your zero points and use the dials to move it to the exact position.