Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:06:23 AM

Author Topic: ESS smoothstepper dissconnects from mach3 problem ?  (Read 6557 times)

ESS smoothstepper dissconnects from mach3 problem ?
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:30:52 AM »
Hi guys,

New to CNC and just finished building a new CNC milling machine with a ESS and am having a problem with it dropping its connection with Mach3 all the time?

I have the Ess connected to a new PC i built for the CNC mill running win7 64bit. 8gb ram core i3 cpu. No anti virus or other programs . Just Mach3 and windows7.

Ess is connected to a Homann designs MB-02-V6 Bidirectional Breakout Board.  Power by a 5v 3a meanwell power supply. Shielded cable from power supply to BOB and ESS. Shielded cable for everything in the control box basically. all shields earthed at control box end only to mains ground.

I have everything up and running but every few mints Mach3 says it has lost connection with the smooth stepper and needs to be shut down and restarted. It happens from anywhere from 1 minuet to 15 minuets after starting mach3. not machining anything just setting up mach3 at this stage.

Its getting bad to the point i dont trust it to be able to function as a cnc machine like this. I thought the ess was supposed to be the best motion controller too ?

I have tried many settings in mach3 but nothing seems to have any affect ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tim.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: ESS smoothstepper dissconnects from mach3 problem ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
Hi Tim,

I know it's passing the buck but if you post your question on the Warp 9 forum it will get prompt attention from Andy (after the weekend). https://www.warp9td.com/index.php/kunena/recent
He will suggest the correct procedure to be followed to isolate the problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: ESS smoothstepper dissconnects from mach3 problem ?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Thanks Tweakie will do that now.

Cheers.